Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for plans-build suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by CarlOrton View Post
    One other thought you might check into..... I *think* (and that opens up a can of worms) that you *can* build a Zenith tail-dragger. I believe it has been done in the past. Best bet is to call the factory and ask.

And, Sam, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I felt the same way about the Zenith appearance years ago. But now I'm building one (Cruzer). The bigger tail, no slats, and wheel pants kinda smooth things out. I said kinda.
    I could live happily with a Zenith, they are fine airplanes (and look great from the cockpit!).
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log

Frank, given your expressed preferences, medical questions, and limited building experience, I was going to suggest some of the more ultralight-style (Dacron fabric over aluminum tubes) kits, but then I saw that you wanted to keep the initial investment small and pay as you go. In addition to the options you've mentioned you might consider the Corben (not Pober) Junior Ace, a little lighter than Paul P.'s redesign, plans are still available including a trigear option. There is also historical precedent for fully enclosed Corbens as you can see from the second pic below.

Name:  CorbenJrAce_e.jpg
Views: 1271
Size:  63.8 KB Name:  CorbenJrAce_e2.jpg
Views: 1427
Size:  76.0 KB

http://www.aceaircraft.com/

You might also take a look at Leonard Milholland's designs, especially the Cabin Eagle. They are simple planes, well proven, and the Cabin Eagle is simple the latest evolution. With a few fairing strips, a J-3-style cowling, and the right color scheme it could look very classy as well. It's also designed for VW power which can be another way to save money.

Name:  10830837_427978947358166_1216674353298492146_o.jpg
Views: 1323
Size:  98.4 KB Name:  10750051_409497715872956_8018003200937049343_o.jpg
Views: 1696
Size:  93.8 KB

http://www.betterhalfvw.com/cabineagle.htm His planes and plans are much better than his awful web site ;-)
    Matthew Long, Editor
    cluttonfred.info
    A site for builders, owners and fans of Eric Clutton's FRED
    and other safe, simple, affordable homebuilt aircraft

Many thanks Matthew! Just the sort of alternative I need to consider. I once dropped a vw engine out, disassembled it, sent the heads out and put on new rings. Re-assemled, it ran fine. I will continue to research alternatives. My first homebuilt will likely be my only homebuilt, so I will try to choose wisely.

I'm building a Wag Aero 2+2; first time builder. It is a big project but i like being able to spend a little at a time and do some trading and such. If you are interested in the entire process, here's my web site with everything since day one.

Marty
    marty2plus2.com

Frank, you might also want to check out these clips of the Cabin Eagle prototype.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8er2mqM_5I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Buq5rig5Tos
    Matthew Long, Editor
    cluttonfred.info
    A site for builders, owners and fans of Eric Clutton's FRED
    and other safe, simple, affordable homebuilt aircraft

Quote Originally Posted by Martyfeehan View Post
    I'm building a Wag Aero 2+2; first time builder. It is a big project but i like being able to spend a little at a time and do some trading and such. If you are interested in the entire process, here's my web site with everything since day one.

Marty
    marty2plus2.com
    Hi Marty, I've been looking and learning from your website for a while now! Keep up the good work and looking forward to your next update! Thanks!

EAA Staff
    Frank, The Bearhawk LSA and Christavia are both great choices, and there is another design that you may want to consider - the Wittman Buttercup. www.luceair.com
    It can be built to meet the LSA definition (by building it with a fixed leading edge), has a welded fuselage, and it has side-by-side seating. The wing is not all-metal, but it is a great performer on 100 hp, and ideal for grass strips.

Thanks Tim, I can't rule out the Buttercup. However, I don't see any builder support, not a fan of the header tank, it lands faster than I want. Still, I will continue to search for information and add it to the spread sheet I'm creating.

Thanks 1600vw. The Murphy Rebel was my number one choice when I thought I could afford a kit. Build it from subkits, almost entirely one construction method, good builder support (builder community), rugged all-round utility. I met with their builders group at Oshkosh this last summer.

But now I'm realizing that I have to build from plans and pay out gradually. It will take me far longer but on the other hand Murphy doesn't have a great reputation for delivery time or company support. I'm also seeing that 150hp or more is not required to do what I want.

Still, I have some time before making a decision and there is a possibility of changing financial picture.