Many thanks for the excellent advice, Sam! You are right: I should do some flying soon! And I will get further advice regarding the medical, though the issue seems relatively minor. And I have noted occasions where even pilots with 'perfect' vision in both eyes don't see the traffic either. Doing some part-time study of theory and regulations, as well as 'Flight Maneuvers Handbook' but really expect to start from the beginning with my training.

There is already a hold on my building plans. The soonest I could start to build is 14 months. If I go the plans route, the soonest I would purchase plans to study would be 8 months. The reason is I still have a couple of jobs and home work. It will likely be several months before I can even start to get the workshop together. And then I need to get my feet wet in relevant building methods for much the same reason you suggest I go flying before all else.

I'm more interested in the Bearhawk LSA than the Patrol, which wants a bigger engine and constant speed prop.

So, still in the formulation stage. And Zenith is good, they offer full kits to plans and everything in between. Plus extensive support.

Thanks again!