Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Looking for plans-build suggestions

General question: all other things being equal, what are the differences between building an all metal wing and a fabric covered wing? And break that down even further into wood spar, aluminum spar, wood ribs etc.

I guess what I'm getting at is whether or not a fabric covered wing offers any advantages in terms of cost or ease of build.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Forney View Post
    General question: all other things being equal, what are the differences between building an all metal wing and a fabric covered wing? And break that down even further into wood spar, aluminum spar, wood ribs etc.

I guess what I'm getting at is whether or not a fabric covered wing offers any advantages in terms of cost or ease of build.
    There are so many variables when considering your question I doubt there is a consensus answer. Some wood wings are very basic, some very complex. Some metal wings have been built from plans and others you wouldn't want to tackle without a kit. Every airplane is a compromise...what you might gain in low cost with one method might be offset with more labor than a different method.

I've built several aircraft (wood, steel, fabric, plans, kits) but don't think I can answer your question. It's sorta like asking what is the difference in flying a fixed wing or a helicopter? Both require different technique but either can be mastered by the motivated flyer.
    Last edited by Sam Buchanan; 11-21-2018 at 02:28 PM.
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log

Frank, I think a lot of the questions you are asking come down to personal preference more than anything else. What construction method appeals to you as a way to pass the time no matter what you are building? Choose that one. What plane fits your budget, accomplishes all or most of your ideal mission, and is easy to build? Choose that one. If you don't enjoy the building process and look forward to the goal of flying, then it will be work not fun.
    Matthew Long, Editor
    cluttonfred.info
    A site for builders, owners and fans of Eric Clutton's FRED
    and other safe, simple, affordable homebuilt aircraft

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Forney View Post
    Hi Marty, I've been looking and learning from your website for a while now! Keep up the good work and looking forward to your next update! Thanks!
    Frank,
    Thanks for the needed nudge ...... my web site is up to date with everything current.

Marty

Thanks Marty, you have an incredible website (http://www.marty2plus2.com/current-post.html) and amazing project!
    Wag-Aero Sportsman 2+2 PA-14 replica!
    Thanks for the great photography and the detailed narrative!
    Very instructive in so many ways!
    Frank