Thread: EAA Visa card compromised

EAA Visa card compromised

Has anyone else had a problem with unauthorized use of their EAA Visa card lately? I found a message on my office machine from their fraud department, I checked online & there are fraudulent charges. (And according to the rep I talked to a few more pending). I haven't used the card since April of this year, and prior to that at my Doctor's office in April of 2016. Because of the high interest rate I only use it for personal items I plan to pay off the next month when the merchant won't take Discover.

(I used to use it a lot at Aircraft Spruce, but I haven't had any reason to for 5 years, that is a sore subject)

The thing is, this card stays in my credit card wallet in my front pocket with my government ID cards, or it is locked in my office. There is no way anyone got the number from my end.

The EAA logo on the card is just that, a logo on the card. It's Visa that was compromised. All you have to do is have a card to be compromised, you don't even need to use it. The number is in a computer, the computer is online, thus available. It's the price of cashless society.

I understand that it is only EAA's logo on the card, I am not suggesting that EAA had anything to do with it. I am wondering more along the lines of a breach at US Bank (the provider). This card has been used exactly once since they issued me a new card with a new expiration date. So, either US Bank has a problem, or the merchant I used it at in April has a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Switzer View Post
    I understand that it is only EAA's logo on the card, I am not suggesting that EAA had anything to do with it. I am wondering more along the lines of a breach at US Bank (the provider). This card has been used exactly once since they issued me a new card with a new expiration date. So, either US Bank has a problem, or the merchant I used it at in April has a problem.
    Hi Mike- Sophisticated criminals who steal our credit card information are doing so using algorithms designed to generate a random card profile number. These algorithms generate 100’s of millions of possible credit card numbers. They then process small transactions to test the card. If the card works they go nuts with it. This has happened to me several times. They’re Essentially guessing card numbers with their algorithms and taking advantage of any card that works. Basically if you’re throwing millions of darts at a dart board while blindfolded, eventually you’ll hit the bullseye. You’re not liable for any unauthorized purchase whatsoever but I know first hand it’s a pain the butt and doesn’t make you feel good at all about your card security.

Mark17 is absolutely correct. The power of modern computing is the culprit. I, too, have had this unfortunate experience thrice in the last year. Fortunately, the credit card issuers are well aware and have been most cooperative. It's just the price of convenience. Good Luck!

Mike is right that most of these things are numbers from random number generators... not even that sophisticated, it's happened to me several times. But sometimes it's local, had one with local purchases, bank (also local) advised me to file a police report. Turns out it had happened to a number of people, all of whom had used their card at the same restaurant. Apparently a waitress was skimming the numbers.

I wasn't aware the random number generation was that effective. Every other time I had a card compromised the number was stolen by an employee at a business I used the card at. The last time it was an employee of a FBO where I had purchased fuel. The weird thing is this time whoever is using it is making purchases at the same places - Victoria's Secret, Foot Locker & a Levi store.