Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Installing a transponder and ADS-B, Instructions?

Quote Originally Posted by crusty old aviator View Post
    It is my understanding that ADS-B OUT can be installed & certified by a part 145 shop, only.
    That is not the case for aircraft with an experimental airworthiness certificate.
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log

I have the installation/operation manual for my Artex 345 ELT in a pdf file. I'll send it to you if you want to take a look at it. It was not difficult to install. Even I could do it. There are a few photos in the Electrical section of my build log. Send me a PM if you want the manual.

Quote Originally Posted by Tralika View Post
    I have the installation/operation manual for my Artex 345 ELT in a pdf file. I'll send it to you if you want to take a look at it. It was not difficult to install. Even I could do it. There are a few photos in the Electrical section of my build log. Send me a PM if you want the manual.
    This thread is about ADS-B transponders, not ELT's......
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log

It is my understanding that ADS-B OUT can be installed & certified by a part 145 shop, only.
    Not so, and not just for experimentals. An FAA policy memo dated 3/2/16 clarified that properly certified Out units can be installed as minor or major alterations depending on complexity. My A&P IA did mine and it was completely legal.

That is not true. I just installed a Garmin ADS-B out system in my experimental plane and got it approved with no problems. Of course, if your plane is certificated, that is a different matter.