Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes to OSH Arrivals procedures?

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    What would you suggest? Especially if they are following the NOTAM to the extent that they're not providing their call signs?

I doubt the EAA would tolerate a phalanx of FAA enforcers grabbing these people right after they land at Oshkosh.....

Ron Wanttaja
    For egregious examples, the FAA does need to step in. Three years ago, I saw a Commander land against traffic because he declared low fuel. So many things wrong there. The FAA needed to have a serious talk with that guy.

I've seen aircraft buzz directly over show center and break into the arrival line for 36/18. Ain't hard to follow someone like that until s/he parks.

Now, these are the 0.5% examples, but they do happen. When word got out that "Bob got busted", Bob v2.0 might think twice about personal minimums and reading the NOTAM.

Yeah, I thought for a second Jack's jet was gonna kill me but then it stopped. I wouldn't say it was a one airplane event.
    Jack said a slow Cub was ahead of him and that put him in a bad spot. I can't imagine why a big jet was sent to the tight base on 18 behind a Cub.

"Ain't nobody got time for that." Well, maybe we can send the CAP kids out there when they're not ELT hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berson View Post
    Yeah, I thought for a second Jack's jet was gonna kill me but then it stopped. I wouldn't say it was a one airplane event.
    Jack said a slow Cub was ahead of him and that put him in a bad spot. I can't imagine why a big jet was sent to the tight base on 18 behind a Cub.
    The cub was a departure. There was plenty of spacing. Jack's problem is he did a half-assed go around in the process. He's got the usual OSHKOSH crash problem, it's got squat to the procedure, the FAA, or the EAA or anybody else. Poorly maintained pilot skills in a rather busy environment.

At least there were services here. He almost drowned on his last crashed his AirCam into powerlines and was left face down in the lake. He was fortunate a guy saw him go down and rowed out and pulled him out of the water.

So the procedures are fine, I would just need a faster airplane, and with a radio, and lots of practice at busy towered airports.
    Last edited by Bill Berson; 11-19-2018 at 08:46 PM.

Ron Wanttaja:
    Actually I also don't know what to do with those pilots ??!

But I think it's important to talk about this because if we ignore what is going
    on up there at a certain point someone else will take care of this ( FAA, EAA .. ).

WE are the pilots flying in …. WE have to say we don't like this and stop to those
    pilots disregarding all rules and the friendly way flying in !

This year was my 8th year flying in and it was the worst I ever saw ……

Reading last SPORT AVIATION Article "Revisiting AirVenture Arrivals" they wrote

"NOTAM SUFFICIENCY AND ADHERENCE - We unfortunately had numerous examples
    of pilots not adhering to the NOTAM, and actually a new phenomenon of aggressive
    behavior is starting to emerge"

It's not true that this had been only 0,5 percent ….. I guess it had been
    20 to 30 percent … during my 2:45 Hours trying to fly in I had enough time to count ……..

I think one way is to talk to other pilots about these behaviors, maybe your best friend
    was one of those "bad" guys …..

Peter

Just a thunk on an early Tuesday morning.

Does the EAA record the name/address/e-mail for each GA aircraft that flies into AirVenture and parks on the grounds? If so, could these folks then receive some form of brief communication about this serious concern prior to next year's event? If no such record is maintained, would it not be possible to have a simple parking registration plan to gather that important info?

I realize that the NOTAM does contain the vital info, but if it is being ignored, perhaps a different format of information delivery could help?

I'm thinking along the lines of a short, general "warning/advisory" to all the GA pilots who fly in, sent out a few weeks before AirVenture, rather than trying to identify and single out those creating the issue after the fact?

How do you get 10,000 independent individuals to 'read the instructions and follow the rules'? I dunno, but trying a variety of means might be worth the effort.

Two Points: 1. the weather this year was bad at the worst time, making a crowded arrival corridor even more so. Weather may be ok next year and thus less of a problem. And it weather is bad, stay on the ground, like I did Saturday, or divert to Appleton or somewhere like I did Sunday, BEFORE you get caught up in having to circle the lakes for an hour.

2. Why single out Jack Roush? I don't think he was flying the Fisk arrival, he had nothing to do with that, and his incident was not even this year. And I"m sure many other of us have made some mistake on landing or taxing at Oshkosh Being cleared to land a jet behind a Super Cub is a chance to have a problem. Jack is a nice guy, an avid aviation buff, and a major supporter of EAA and Airventure.

Of course pilots should read and follow the notam, I don't know how to guarantee that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
    Three years ago, I saw a Commander land against traffic because he declared low fuel. So many things wrong there. The FAA needed to have a serious talk with that guy.
    There were at least two aircraft that landed opposite direction of the traffic flow this year. To my knowledge, the FAA did not take any action against either pilot. I think that's a mistake, but they don't ask my opinion.
    Cheers!

Joe

This will be a good idea to communicate the serious concern prior to next year's event !

An nearly everybody will be EAA Member flying in and therefor the EAA have those addresses !

Great idea !