Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes to OSH Arrivals procedures?

Actually, it's the other way around. The discourage/prohibit arrivals during peak departure periods (notably right after the airshow ends). The departures are already throttled if there are arrivals. The guys on the MOOCOW can't release a departure if there is conflicting traffic on final.

The problem in the north 40 this year was they messed up the grass drainage when they straightened the Bravo taxiway. Hopefully, they'll work on that over the winter.

A lot of the problems I saw this year could be solved by the pilots following the Notam. Not flying past other aircraft between Ripon and Fisk. Get in line as we all should. Between Ripon and Fiske this year we had 4 passing us at the same time , one 50 feet above us , one 50 feet below us , and one each left and right at about 150 feet. I do not beleive they did not see us. We were in a 172 over the tracks, on altitude and speed. These folks are dangerous !. When we pilots all do as we please it becomes a mess very quickly. No one can fix the weather and it was a bit nasty, but we can fly the plan and improve safety.

(1) I read Recurring accounts about pilots not flying per the NOTAM. I have been in the air when that happened, too. It certainly that messes with an already complex system. Complex, but designed for safety. My question is what can be done about pilots who are arriving in violation of the NOTAM? What is being done? If it is 1% of the pilots, how bad does that effect the other 90%? (Actually, I can add reasonably well, most of the time. I am not counting IFR and Warbird arrivals.)

(2) It also seems that when weather screws screws up mass arrivals on Saturday that rescheduling the arrivals for Sunday only has the effect of screwing up arrivals on both days.
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

One of the challenges i deal with most years is conflicting instructions on the Fisk arrival.

You're supposed to line up over the RR tracks.

You're supposed to be nose to tail, not side by side.

So, the guy in front of you is 750' south of the tracks. Do you follow him or do you follow the tracks?

If you follow the guy, some jerk is almost certain to barrel past you while he follows the tracks.

If you don't follow the guy, it is easy to lose sight of him, which isn't desirable.

AArgh.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhemxpc View Post
    (1) I read Recurring accounts about pilots not flying per the NOTAM. I have been in the air when that happened, too. It certainly that messes with an already complex system. Complex, but designed for safety. My question is what can be done about pilots who are arriving in violation of the NOTAM?
    One thing I think would help is to announce on ATIS when you must enter the hold. That would help with the unaware NOTAM violators which is what I suspect is the case for most of them arriving at Ripon from the south/southeast even though the hold was already overflowing. Nothing you can do about the self entitled ones except severe enforcement if you can catch them.

Quote Originally Posted by keen9 View Post
    One thing I think would help is to announce on ATIS when you must enter the hold. .
    Actually, having some indication the field is closed (or extremely congested) and when it was reopened would be a big help. I diverted to a nearby field (I'd rather wait it out on the ground than fly around in circles) but it's hard to tell what the field status is remotely.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    Actually, having some indication the field is closed (or extremely congested) and when it was reopened would be a big help. I diverted to a nearby field (I'd rather wait it out on the ground than fly around in circles) but it's hard to tell what the field status is remotely.
    Very true. ATIS is often out of date and unhelpful. It should be updated immediately with every change in field status.

They could even post the status live on the internet. Make it a dedicated web page that requires very little data transfer (no pictures, no dancing bologna, etc), and many folks can pull the status down from a cell tower nearing Oshkosh.

The latter was very much what I had in mind. Sitting on the ground at 79C, I was listening to live ATC to try to figure out whether it was worth launching again to try to move my plane back before the airshow. I gave up and had someone drive up from OSH and get us and I went back and got my plane the next day./

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
    Very true. ATIS is often out of date and unhelpful. It should be updated immediately with every change in field status.

They could even post the status live on the internet. Make it a dedicated web page that requires very little data transfer (no pictures, no dancing bologna, etc), and many folks can pull the status down from a cell tower nearing Oshkosh.
    Good idea, because I kept getting a busy signal calling the ATIS phone number.

The real Problem had been too much pilots did not follow the NOTAM arriving at RIPON !!!

We tried to get in on Sunday for over 2 hours and what we experienced was horrible !
    Not 1% of the pilots flew in this rude manner, lets start by 20 to 30 percent of the pilots
    which had no concerns to fly not over the railroad tracks, not at the right speed,
    not at the right altitude, not at the right spacing.

The worst had been numerous pilots cutting in our spacing short before we reached FISK
    which ended for all of us turning west out of the approach !
    This happened several times while we tried to fly in !

I say it again - shame on you !!!

Don't blame the weather nor the ATC controller - they tried their best.

You will see the result in the future, they will change the arrival procedures .....
    Whatever this means ... possibly they will be thinking if this freedom to
    fly in is the best way to stay save in the future ..............

And not to forget .... to thank all the "nice" pilots for that !

Peter

GERMANY