Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Changes to OSH Arrivals procedures?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    Hey Mike, I think it is. The mass arrivals seem to be a sore spot for some, but remember, even if it takes a half hour, that is a lot of airplanes landed in that time. In the case of the Bonanzas it was 171 of them! I think, so that many are out of the line and out of the congestion. If they came one at a time, it would likely take longer.
    The mass arrivals are a great use of runway time. Where they cause distress is if they don't happen in the scheduled window. We've had years where we planned to arrive after or between mass arrivals, and one group or another had a problem, didn't hit the window, and messed up our plans. In that situation, the mass arrivals chewed up 2x the required time - first, their scheduled slot, then whatever runway time they actually used.

In fact, I don't know of any in-flight collisions outside of airshow performances over the years. Lots of single plane "failure to fly the airplane" situations.

Quote Originally Posted by MEdwards View Post
    The schedules are published so others can avoid those times. When the schedule changes drastically it messes up everybody else. If they get pushed from a Friday to Saturday to Sunday they contribute to the closed runway congestion experienced last year.
    Where are the schedules published? The last notam just says late morning to early afternoon Saturday and early morning Sunday. Which mass arrivals are scheduled for Friday?

I’ve always found the schedule on the AirVenture.org web page. I’m pretty certain at least one was scheduled Friday in the past, because it surprised me at the time. I cannot remember which one.
    Mike
    Last edited by MEdwards; 03-16-2019 at 07:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    In fact, I don't know of any in-flight collisions outside of airshow performances over the years. Lots of single plane "failure to fly the airplane" situations.
    It has happened. 20+ years ago a Cessna and a T-18 (from memory) had a midair in the arrival stream. One crashed, one made a successful landing.

But the system works pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by MEdwards View Post
    I’ve always found the schedule on the AirVenture.org web page. I’m pretty certain at least one was scheduled Friday in the past, because it surprised me at the time. I cannot remember which one.
    Mike
    Well, if you had the schedule and planned to avoid it, I can understand your frustration. However, if you planned a flight for that day, you must be aware of the adverse weather conditions that could cause a mass arrival to be delayed. You may assume a delayed mass arrival group will take the first available opportunity to complete the arrival.

But we certainly don't get "prioritized." You can show up as a flight of three with no reservation or notice, and you'll be given the whole runway and be allowed to park together. You can reschedule due to weather or a whim, even to the next day or the next. We must sign a letter of authorization (LOA) with the FAA nearly a year in advance, phone the tower prior to launch at the negotiated time, and call by radio 20, 10, and 5 miles out. Under the LOA, we have no option to reschedule for another day.