Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes to OSH Arrivals procedures?

Quote Originally Posted by L16 Pilot View Post
    My goodness....you can get a booklet with the procedure, pictures and radio frequencies. How much more does anyone need? If there is a "glitch in the system" it needs to be fixed but I don't see where making the system more complicated is of any benefit. Weather can be a factor that pilots and controllers have to deal with at times. Some times you need to sit on the ground and wait for it to clear....been there and done that.
    Normally I think the same .... I hate more restrictions ( I am from Germany, I know what I am talking about ) !

And the sad answer is ... a lot of pilots obviously need more !
    These pilots risk the freedom of all other pilots flying into KOSH !

Peter

Further, there have been youtube videos for what to expect out there for a long time.
    The problem is people who don't bother to research before the flight. One point of particular confusion is while people get the part about Ripon to Fisk, they fail to brief the transitions to the Runways and end up going all over the place. They put nice big arrows on the railroad tracks in recent years, perhaps some of the Fisk Ave or whatever the road that takes you to 36 might help.

I was thinking if EAA wants more land to contain all the airplanes by 2020 perhaps that 2400 ft. grass emergency field (depicted on NOTAM near Fisk) could be acquired. It could be bought or leased something like the Seaplane Base, which is used the week of Airventure only.
    Of course, another farm might be a better location. But the basic idea is to get a grass base for slow Light Sport pilots, which may not be using radios. Actually, most would have radios for CTAF, similar to the Seaplane Base. But a radio should not be required, same as Seaplane Base.
    I like CTAF self announce better than the apparently blind unannounced procedure to Fisk. Pilots can self separate with CTAF. The pattern altitude should be 60kt or less at 300 agl, maybe shared with the current ultralights approach path, I think.
    Last edited by Bill Berson; 11-21-2018 at 10:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    Further, there have been youtube videos for what to expect out there for a long time.
    The problem is people who don't bother to research before the flight. One point of particular confusion is while people get the part about Ripon to Fisk, they fail to brief the transitions to the Runways and end up going all over the place. They put nice big arrows on the railroad tracks in recent years, perhaps some of the Fisk Ave or whatever the road that takes you to 36 might help.
    I am wondering how those pilots manage it to arrive in the vicinity of RIPON ………………...

With regard to keeping track of who flew what on the Fisk, or any other future approach, by 2020 everyone will have ADS-B out and then ATC will know who flew and did what when. Not that I am advocating playing police state with AirVenture arrivals, but it is part and parcel of the ADS-B technology.

With regard to using the SFRA as an example, I don’t think we want people deviating from the approach procedure to be intercepted by F-16’s. It would be neat to watch, but not exactly welcoming.
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com

People flew around the lake for 2 1/2 hours because they just HAD to get into OSH. But they didn’t. If they had diverted to Fond du Lac or Appleton they would have arrived at the front gate on the bus just as early. Not ideal, but better than the risk and expense they imposed on themselves.

EAA should do a better job of publicizing the options if it’s impossible or unsafe to get into OSH. Perhaps an article or even a webinar. Accurate information on facilities and transportation, invitations from the pleasant, helpful people at Appleton (and probably Fond du Lac too), much more relevant information than just what’s in the NOTAM. Perhaps also lists and brief descriptions of facilities at other outlying airports such as Wisconsin Dells, where I refueled this year.

Mike E

I've flown commercial in to Appleton twice. Easy peasy. The first time I went to Oshkosh (with Paul Bertorelli) we landed at Fond du Lac. There's lots of other fields around too. The cubby's have their own little flyin at New Holstein. I got stuck up at Brennand field (about 5 miles away in Neenah) one year when the Malibu crashed on 27. We had gone up their to take showers and I finally gave up on getting in before the airshow and had someone drive up and get me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhemxpc View Post
    With regard to keeping track of who flew what on the Fisk, or any other future approach, by 2020 everyone will have ADS-B out and then ATC will know who flew and did what when.
    Do you really think so? I don't guess that more than 1/3 of the GA fleet will be equipped by 2020, if ever. It isn't required for the vast majority of the airspace in the US. This is what concerns me about EAA making ADS-B part of the price of admission to use the arrival in MVFR conditions. I fear that will keep more airplanes away, especially the Antique/ Classic crowd.
    Jeff Point
    RV-6 and RLU-1 built & flying
    Tech Counselor, Flight Advisor & President, EAA Chapter 18
    Milwaukee, WI
    "It All Started Here!"

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhemxpc View Post
    With regard to keeping track of who flew what on the Fisk, or any other future approach, by 2020 everyone will have ADS-B out and then ATC will know who flew and did what when. Not that I am advocating playing police state with AirVenture arrivals, but it is part and parcel of the ADS-B technology.

With regard to using the SFRA as an example, I don’t think we want people deviating from the approach procedure to be intercepted by F-16’s. It would be neat to watch, but not exactly welcoming.
    I don't think that will help. As it is now, they have you turn your xpndr to standby once you get close. Since I'm still building, I don't yet have ADS-B out, so I don't know if that system operates differently. I doubt it, since there are so many solutions that piggy back on your existing Mode C unit.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Quote Originally Posted by CarlOrton View Post
    I don't think that will help. As it is now, they have you turn your xpndr to standby once you get close. Since I'm still building, I don't yet have ADS-B out, so I don't know if that system operates differently. I doubt it, since there are so many solutions that piggy back on your existing Mode C unit.
    The FAA relented and do not tell you to shutoff ADSB out when you are near Oshkosh.