Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes to OSH Arrivals procedures?

Changes to OSH Arrivals procedures?

I just received my November issue of Sport Aviation and read Charlie Precourt’s article on Revisting AirVenture Arrivals with great interest. OSH AV has a long but not entirely unblemished record, and while there is always room for improvement (like the change to the NOTAM to keep transponders on to facilitate ADS-B traffic awareness) I hope EAA and FAA are very judicious in any significant adjustments. One of the great hallmarks of OSH AV has been its egalitarian nature, it would be a great shame to lose that. If anything, EAA needs to favor the unsophisticated.

Perhaps the denizens of this board could offer some suggestions for improvement in the arrivals process that makes OSH better without gutting its essence.

ted

Quote Originally Posted by TedK View Post
    I just received my November issue of Sport Aviation and read Charlie Precourt’s article on Revisting AirVenture Arrivals with great interest. OSH AV has a long but not entirely unblemished record, and while there is always room for improvement (like the change to the NOTAM to keep transponders on to facilitate ADS-B traffic awareness) I hope EAA and FAA are very judicious in any significant adjustments. One of the great hallmarks of OSH AV has been its egalitarian nature, it would be a great shame to lose that. If anything, EAA needs to favor the unsophisticated.

Perhaps the denizens of this board could offer some suggestions for improvement in the arrivals process that makes OSH better without gutting its essence.

ted
    Let's see:

1) They could discourage departures during the peak arrival periods.
    2) They could do a better job with the mass arrivals - it seems they "lose" a lot of available runway time at both ends of each mass arrival.

I'm not sure what else.

Obviously, weather is the big issue. If you have a blocking weather event on Saturday or Sunday, the aftermath is going to be ugly.

I think the problem this year was: some of the turf taxiways were too muddy to be used. Consequently, they intermittently closed runways and used them as taxiways. The runway closures caused traffic backups on the Fisk Arrival. This was compounded by IFR conditions part of the time, so when the weather improved, a lot of pilots wanted to arrive in a short time. The simplest, if not cheapest, solution would be to pave some more taxiways. Or, maybe drainage could be improved to keep the turf taxiways usable.

Quote Originally Posted by dougbush View Post
    I think the problem this year was: some of the turf taxiways were too muddy to be used. Consequently, they intermittently closed runways and used them as taxiways. The runway closures caused traffic backups on the Fisk Arrival. This was compounded by IFR conditions part of the time, so when the weather improved, a lot of pilots wanted to arrive in a short time. The simplest, if not cheapest, solution would be to pave some more taxiways. Or, maybe drainage could be improved to keep the turf taxiways usable.
    Doug- Good ideas. The Marines are going to resurface the Catalina Island airport to get some practice. Perhaps an Air Force “Prime Beef” squadron or two could get some practice by laying down an expeditionary runway and maybe some Marsden Matting (or its 21st Century equivalent) to provide more taxiway over the grass.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
    Let's see:

1) They could discourage departures during the peak arrival periods.
    2) They could do a better job with the mass arrivals - it seems they "lose" a lot of available runway time at both ends of each mass arrival.

Do the Departures much impact the Arrivals?

Do the Departures much impact the Arrivals?
    Yes. The tri-motors doing flights is a real drag on arrivals.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
    Yes. The tri-motors doing flights is a real drag on arrivals.
    Are they too big to fly out of Pioneer Field?

Banned
    Are they too big to fly out of Pioneer Field?
    Probably, but also too much conflict with the chopper traffic all day long. There are also activities on the southern part of the runway as well as a pathway to the museum.

What if you knew which runway you wanted? 36/18 or 27/9. What about avoiding the RIPON merge and having two arrival paths? Perhaps the existing FISKE arrival for 27/9, and separate arrival for 36/18? This ought to remove a little of the ground traffic as you self selected your desired runway closest to the parking area you wanted?

What if you knew which runway you wanted? 36/18 or 27/9. What about avoiding the RIPON merge and having two arrival paths? Perhaps the existing FISKE arrival for 27/9, and separate arrival for 36/18? This ought to remove a little of the ground traffic as you self selected your desired runway closest to the parking area you wanted?
    One of the beauties of splitting the stream at Fisk is the controllers ther can effectively spread the load to both runways. If a bunch of aircraft arrives grouped together, the Fisk controllers can divide them up to correct spacing problems.