Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes to OSH Arrivals procedures?

The 2 P-51s were performers. one was Gerry Beck who was in front, I don't personally know the other pilot but recall it may have been a friend. The 2nd pilot lost sight of the first plane on landing. Murphy never takes a day off, hes always there if anyone makes any mistake

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berson View Post
    My view is that I probably will never fly the Fisk procedure. Mostly because of 60kt top speed, I guess. And the reports I read here about being passed by traffic within 50 feet, 2 hour holding, etc.
    I have done it. Once as a passenger, twice solo PIC. I’m a low time pilot and was even greener then. Compared to a lot of the pros here, I’m sure I suck. But just like having dinner at an all you can eat buffet will make even the portliest of us feel skinny (you know, sitting around the five hundred pounders)... I felt vindicated after flying the Airventure arrival. I’ve never before seen people fly that poorly.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

It's interesting in this discussion that nearly no one addresses
    the rude and dangerous manner numerous pilots did fly the
    FISK arrival route not following the NOTAM this year !!!???

You can change whatever you want in the procedures,
    if no one follows them it's wasted time !

I totally agree with "DaleB"

"I've never before seen people fly that poorly"

Where are the comments for this subject ??!!

Peter

I'm guessing that the mopes who don't bother with NOTAM procedures and common courtesy also do not tend to frequent any EAA forums? And if some do they are not likely to announce that they are indeed the dolts?

I'm pretty sure that the two P-51's were the landing subsequent to the air race demonstration. I was working crowd control on the flight line. The airport was closed to arrivals. The only planes landing were the four (maybe five) involved in the performance.

There's been plenty of crashes at Oshkosh of arrivals solely due to single plane issues like One Eyed Jack's escapade. I had just managed to get the last of the planes that were parked on the taxiway relocated to regular parking a few hours before that happened (that was the Sloshkosh year). A buddy of mine who begged to let me leave his plane there since he was leaving the next day came up with a dazed look on his face right after that happened. Where Jack crashed had been my typical duty station (if it hadn't been for the fact that I had put in many long days calling pilots on my personal cell phone to get them to move their aircraft, I'd have been out there). We do have pictures of one of our volunteers running from the fireball. He showed up with a "Jack Roush tried to kill me" T-shirt with a copy of that picture on it the next year.
    Last edited by FlyingRon; 11-19-2018 at 08:27 AM.

CHICAGORANDY you will be right, but we ALL have to discuss how
    to handle those pilots not following the NOTAM in a dangerous manner !

As I said you can change the Arrival Procedures over and over again
    but when no one cares about this …. what for ??

Peter

PETEREAA - I'm presuming that air-to-air missiles is NOT an option?

Only kidding of course.….probably.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterEAA View Post
    CHICAGORANDY you will be right, but we ALL have to discuss how
    to handle those pilots not following the NOTAM in a dangerous manner !
    What would you suggest? Especially if they are following the NOTAM to the extent that they're not providing their call signs?

I doubt the EAA would tolerate a phalanx of FAA enforcers grabbing these people right after they land at Oshkosh.....

Ron Wanttaja

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    What would you suggest? Especially if they are following the NOTAM to the extent that they're not providing their call signs?

I doubt the EAA would tolerate a phalanx of FAA enforcers grabbing these people right after they land at Oshkosh.....

Ron Wanttaja
    What about self enforcement? Shouldn’t be that hard to place some cameras and EAA Observers and then greet the scofflaws with evidence of their misdeeds and some well intentioned counseling…

Merely publicizing that might prove a sufficient deterrent.

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by TedK View Post
    What about self enforcement? Shouldn’t be that hard to place some cameras and EAA Observers and then greet the scofflaws with evidence of their misdeeds and some well intentioned counseling…

Merely publicizing that might prove a sufficient deterrent.
    But how do you find them...how do you know their names? How do you stop from accusing the wrong people? Who's tracking the people who butt in to the traffic flow five miles out rather than at Fisk?

Pilots are kind of known for having strong egos. I could see this ending kind of bad, especially bad for EAA if it's some sort of official program. If someone thinks it's a great idea, try it out on your local highway system, first. See how that works out....

Ron Wanttaja