Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes to OSH Arrivals procedures?

Quote Originally Posted by CHICAGORANDY View Post
    Just a thunk on an early Tuesday morning.

Does the EAA record the name/address/e-mail for each GA aircraft that flies into AirVenture and parks on the grounds? If so, could these folks then receive some form of brief communication about this serious concern prior to next year's event? If no such record is maintained, would it not be possible to have a simple parking registration plan to gather that important info?

I realize that the NOTAM does contain the vital info, but if it is being ignored, perhaps a different format of information delivery could help?

I'm thinking along the lines of a short, general "warning/advisory" to all the GA pilots who fly in, sent out a few weeks before AirVenture, rather than trying to identify and single out those creating the issue after the fact?

How do you get 10,000 independent individuals to 'read the instructions and follow the rules'? I dunno, but trying a variety of means might be worth the effort.

This will be a good idea to communicate the serious concern prior to next year's event !

An nearly everybody will be EAA Member flying in and therefor the EAA have those addresses !

Great idea !

Quote Originally Posted by CHICAGORANDY View Post
    Just a thunk on an early Tuesday morning.

Does the EAA record the name/address/e-mail for each GA aircraft that flies into AirVenture and parks on the grounds? If so, could these folks then receive some form of brief communication about this serious concern prior to next year's event? If no such record is maintained, would it not be possible to have a simple parking registration plan to gather that important info?
    That's a pretty good idea. More proactive than expecting people to read a NOTAM on their own.

IIRC, there are ~15,000 airplanes on the field during the show. That's only $7,500 in postage, plus paying for the people or machines who stuff the envelopes.

Ron Wanttaja

I wonder what the cost would be for a mass e-mailing instead?

IF this is a 'real' concern for all those flying in, and only judging by the previous NINE pages of comments by folks it seems to be, doing something new and positive in nature is perhaps better than EAA doing nothing beyond what they have done in the past?

I make NO claim to having all the answers and my opinions are worth exactly what you paid to read them - lol
    Last edited by CHICAGORANDY; 11-20-2018 at 10:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    That's a pretty good idea. More proactive than expecting people to read a NOTAM on their own.

IIRC, there are ~15,000 airplanes on the field during the show. That's only $7,500 in postage, plus paying for the people or machines who stuff the envelopes.

Ron Wanttaja
    $7500 postage plus $x for handling is pocket lint for EAA. They have Millions.

Plus, they do a dozen mailings a year of Sport Aviation.

Why not create a required online course like they have for the DC SFRA? OSH is a helluva more complex and dynamic. Get Wings credit for doing it.

ted

Quote Originally Posted by TedK View Post
    $7500 postage plus $x for handling is pocket lint for EAA. They have Millions.

Plus, they do a dozen mailings a year of Sport Aviation.
    Not to mention countless others asking for money. You'd think a postcard or somethign regarding Airventure wouldn't be a drain in resources.

Why not create a required online course like they have for the DC SFRA? OSH is a helluva more complex and dynamic. Get Wings credit for doing it.
    Online course is a great idea -- in fact, wasn't there a webinar already done? I could be wrong. Don't know how you'd make it "required" though. Heck, reading the NOTAM is required, and apparently enough people don't do that.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    Online course is a great idea -- in fact, wasn't there a webinar already done? I could be wrong. Don't know how you'd make it "required" though. Heck, reading the NOTAM is required, and apparently enough people don't do that.
    Online Course is required by FAA to fly with 60nm of DC (that is 30nm outside the SFRA).

Yes, I know that... but I'm not clear on how you'd enforce that with a huge influx of airplanes, all operating effectively NORDO, converging on Oshkosh.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

Quote Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
    Yes, I know that... but I'm not clear on how you'd enforce that with a huge influx of airplanes, all operating effectively NORDO, converging on Oshkosh.
    Before we get to Enforcement, let’s try Encouragement.
    Howabout an “I survived the Fiske arrival” T-shit for every pilot who flies in and shows proof of completion of the online course?

Online Course is required by FAA to fly with 60nm of DC (that is 30nm outside the SFRA).
    ...and enforced just about as much as the Oshkosh NOTAM.

My goodness....you can get a booklet with the procedure, pictures and radio frequencies. How much more does anyone need? If there is a "glitch in the system" it needs to be fixed but I don't see where making the system more complicated is of any benefit. Weather can be a factor that pilots and controllers have to deal with at times. Some times you need to sit on the ground and wait for it to clear....been there and done that.
    If God had intended man to fly He would have given us more money!