Thread: Flight analysis software

Flight analysis software

I am working on a flight analysis software package. Primarily for my own use, I'm like to gauge the interest in such a thing to see if it's worth developing into something clean enough to offer as commercial software, probably with a price point somewhere around $50 or less. I've looked around but there doesn't seem to be much out there, except for programs aimed mainly at glider pilots (like GPLIGC, which is free but has a rather involved install) or high end programs aimed at professional flight testing. Mine is intended for the amateur pilot, to track flights and do basic performance measurements.

At this point, the program will:
    • Read a .gpx or .kml file created by a GPS receiver
    • Break the track file up into segments at each point where the aircraft stopped
    • Display a list of flights, showing flight time and the airport names and IDs (from the FAA database)
    • Display a selected flight on a graph showing top (map) view and side (profile)
    • Display the aircraft performance (speed, distance, rate of climb/sink) averaged over the selected segment(s)
    • Calculate true airspeed and wind speed from three selected segments
    • Any other useful features I haven't thought of?

I see this being valuable for testing of a new aircraft: Check rate of climb at different speeds to determine the best climb speed, calibrate your airspeed indicator, etc. The map view won't show an actual map or satellite view under the track; there are plenty of other programs that do that.

I'm currently using a non aviation Garmin handheld for testing; I don't know what file format other GPS receivers supply or how you get the track file from them; I would appreciate any input on that (or perhaps files for testing).

Thoughts?

Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 722
Size:  85.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    I am working on a flight analysis software package. Primarily for my own use, I'm like to gauge the interest in such a thing to see if it's worth developing into something clean enough to offer as commercial software, probably with a price point somewhere around $50 or less...
    You mean like this?

https://www.cloudahoy.com/

It looks like CloudAhoy does some (not all) of the same things, but it's a cloud based Android or iOS app with a yearly subscription fee intended for routine flight logging. What I'm working on is a standalone Windows based program intended more for flight testing.

I think that Cloudahoy does just about everything you listed as a requirement. Yes it has an annual subscription, but they keep it up to date and integrates with other apps like Foreflight, Garmin Pilot, and even X-Plane. Yes it uses the cloud, but that means data is immediately available to you wherever you are whatever platform you are using. The flight is tracked on an Android or IOS device, but it can be accessed on a desk platform. You can also share flights with others. Not just routine flight login. I use it for flight instruction debriefing, airshow debriefing, CAP mission debriefing, as well as logging my flight so I can catch up with formal logbook entires later.

Other than looking for a dedicated windows based platform, maybe you are looking for something more specific that did not come across in you original post?
    Chris Mayer
    N424AF
    www.o2cricket.com