Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Insuring Second Hand E-AB Planes

I've never had a tailwheel endorsement either and my insurance quote was not affected. I simply stated on the application form that my TW experience pre-dates the endorsement requirement and I included the date that requirement came into effect. The same was true for the complex aircraft requirement.

I do not recall ever being asked whether I had a tailwheel endorsement. I just list the (large) number of hours of tailwheel experience on the form. But I would guess that if the applicant reported "0" tailwheel hours, the insurance quote for an airplane that has a small population might be a high number. That said, getting a tailwheel endorsement is pretty easy.

Best of luck,

Wes

Come to think of it, I don't recall being asked about a TW endorsement, either, just number of TW hours. But is a pilot (non-grandfathered) legal to fly a certificated TW aircraft as PIC without an endorsement?
    Sam Buchanan
    The RV Journal RV-6 build log
    Fokker D.VII semi-replica build log

Sam, it's my understanding that if you are not grandfathered, you must obtain an endorsement. When I built my Sonex, I had to obtain one. Insurance wanted to know when it was signed, how many training hours for it, and hours since the endorsement.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Buchanan View Post
    Come to think of it, I don't recall being asked about a TW endorsement, either, just number of TW hours. But is a pilot (non-grandfathered) legal to fly a certificated TW aircraft as PIC without an endorsement?
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlOrton View Post
    Sam, it's my understanding that if you are not grandfathered, you must obtain an endorsement. When I built my Sonex, I had to obtain one. Insurance wanted to know when it was signed, how many training hours for it, and hours since the endorsement.
    That is my understanding as well. In respect to the original poster, we can most likely assume he must have a TW endorsement to fly any TW aircraft as PIC that requires privileges of Light Sport or Private license. I wouldn't be surprised if an insurance carrier will ask for details about the endorsement since he is a new pilot.
    Sam Buchanan

Sam, some illumination on why you consider First Flight (USUA) a last resort?

Quote Originally Posted by flyrgreen View Post
    Sam, some illumination on why you consider First Flight (USUA) a last resort?
    The First Flight policy is a third-party policy and there seems to be some question as to what the total payout would be if a huge claim was filed (lawsuit). The policy is stated as $1M but that may refer to the total payout available for the entire group of insured but I've never read any account of an actual payout. I believe my First Flight policies were underwritten by Lloyd's of London.

These types of questions don't arise when dealing with a liability policy from an aviation insurance carrier with a well-established track record in the aviation community. I purchased First Flight policies for two aircraft to satisfy airport requirements because they were the only policies available. One was an ultralight which was uninsurable by other companies, the other was an E-AB that was uninsurable conventionally during its first year of operation. After field history was established for that aircraft I was able to obtain conventional aviation liability insurance from the same carrier that insures my RV-6.

Hope this addresses your question satisfactorily.
    Last edited by Sam Buchanan; 11-15-2018 at 04:53 PM.
    Sam Buchanan

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Buchanan View Post
    The First Flight policy is a third-party policy and there seems to be some question as to what the total payout would be if a huge claim was filed (lawsuit). The policy is stated as $1M but that may refer to the total payout available for the entire group of insured but I've never read any account of an actual payout. I believe my First Flight policies were underwritten by Lloyd's of London.

These types of questions don't arise when dealing with a liability policy from an aviation insurance carrier with a well-established track record in the aviation community. I purchased First Flight policies for two aircraft to satisfy airport requirements because they were the only policies available. One was an ultralight which was uninsurable by other companies, the other was an E-AB that was uninsurable conventionally during its first year of operation. After field history was established for that aircraft I was able to obtain conventional aviation liability insurance from the same carrier that insures my RV-6.

Hope this addresses your question satisfactorily.
    Thanks Sam. Interesting..... And about the Lloyd's of London bit-- I noticed that wording in small print on the form and am somewhat skeptical. It just says "Lloyds" without the "of London". I'm not aware of a company of that stature that colloquializes it's name like that in print.

Like you did, I just insured an E-AB with First Flight as per airport requirements, so If the airport is satisfied.......

Quote Originally Posted by flyrgreen View Post

Like you did, I just insured an E-AB with First Flight as per airport requirements, so If the airport is satisfied.......
    You got it....
    Sam Buchanan

EAA insurance, liability only, $365 per yr. Just enough to keep the liayers at bay.