Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Fully Equipped LSA for under $85,000--The promise fullfilled!!??

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Banned

New Fully Equipped LSA for under $85,000--The promise fullfilled!!??

This directly relates to the Cessna Skycatcher price increase thread. It's from Pipistrel, a Slovenia manufacturer that's been producing a wide range of light aircraft since 1987. The composite ALPHA--check out the the impressively long list of fully equipped included standard features that are usually, if not always, options on other aircraft. And they claim with the same cruise as a 172 and 1000fpm. Someone has seen a different vision, acted upon it coupled with aggressively slashed pricing.

http://pipistrel-usa.com/

Hey, are you listening?: Cessna, Flight Design/CTS, Cubcrafters, Remos, Jabiru, American Legend, Tecnam, Evektor/SportStar, Gobosh, CSA/Sportcruiser, Sportair/Stingsport, Renegade, Arion, Breezer to name but a few----that loud, deafening, clamorous, piercing noise you're collectively hearing is the sound of the fleet feet of fed-up, aggravated customers pounding a pathway to a better value proposition.

You do realize that from day 1 there have been S-LSA's that have been less than $70,000, right? In fact, right now, there are even S-LSA's that you can buy for less than $40,000. Yet people don't want them, because "they don't look like a new airplane."

Fact of the matter is, manufactures are making $100,000 S-LSA's because that's what the market wants.
    KSCessnaDriver
    ATP MEL, Commercial Lighter Than Air-Airship, SEL, CFI/CFII
    Private SES

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kscessnadriver View Post
    You do realize that from day 1 there have been S-LSA's that have been less than $70,000, right? In fact, right now, there are even S-LSA's that you can buy for less than $40,000. Yet people don't want them, because "they don't look like a new airplane."

Fact of the matter is, manufactures are making $100,000 S-LSA's because that's what the market wants.

Yes, Virginia, I not only realize that, but I have seen them too over the years. And they're mostly glorified throwbacks to the ultralights of the 1980's and 90's and and hence absurdly overpriced at $70K or under. Additionally, I question construction and materials on some of them. In any event, you are comparing apples and oranges or Porsches and Yugos. The point I'm making is about the value difference between this Alpha and other similarly or far greater priced LSA's with respect to features loaded/fully equipped vs. bare bones basic, construction and claimed performance.
    Last edited by Floatsflyer; 11-26-2011 at 08:13 AM.

Well, it would be great if this aircraft actually comes in at $85K or under, but if you go to their web-site where all their products are offered the model you're describing is just an "artists" rendering not an actual photo of the finished product. Most all the "big" names in the LSA market have started out their product intro with low price hype and come in way over. I looked at the model right below the "Alpha" which is comparable and in production with a base price of 69900 euros, that's about $97K in our currency on a good day. That model is offered as a turn-key LSA and two quick build kits for E-LSA the 400 hr kit has a base price of 59900 euros, converts to about $83K. These are the bare bones basic airplanes with the 80HP Rotex engines. They have a long list of available options and packages for various regions around the world including the USA.

The problem is simply that those of us that would like to own an LSA can't justify this kind of money for what is really exactly what it is called, Light Sport. It's a 2-place short range, low and slow flyer. I can buy a used C-150 for $20K - $25K or spend a few bucks more for a Cherokee 140, unfortunately they don't qualify for the drivers license medical, but if EAA/AOPA are successful with the upcoming proposal for a rule exemption we may actually be able to fly Archers and Skyhawks with the self certification medical process. This may become a big problem for the LSA mfg'rs trying to sell new products at these prices.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    Yes, Virginia, I not only realize that, but I have seen them too over the years. And they're mostly glorified throwbacks to the ultralights of the 1980's and 90's and and hence absurdly overpriced at $70K or under. Additionally, I question construction and materials on some of them. In any event, you are comparing apples and oranges or Porsches and Yugos. The point I'm making is about the value difference between this Alpha and other similarly or far greater priced LSA's with respect to features loaded/fully equipped vs. bare bones basic, construction and claimed performance.
    So basically, you're one of the people that complain about the $100K S-LSA's, but then complain that the cheaper S-LSA's aren't really airplanes. Ah, I see it now, you want the $100,000 airplane for $20,000. Good to see logic applies
    KSCessnaDriver
    Private SES

There are a number of good airplanes available for under $20,000. Not fancy, minimal bells and whistles, but at 72 years old you can't complain about it's maintainability

Cheers,
    Jerry

NC22375
    65LA out of 07N Pennsylvania

Quote Originally Posted by rosiejerryrosie View Post
    There are a number of good airplanes available for under $20,000. Not fancy, minimal bells and whistles, but at 72 years old you can't complain about it's maintainability

Exactly. But people believe that they are entitled to a shiny new airplane for the same money. People don't understand that there are costs involved with building an airplane. And then there's those who feel the LSA thing was meant to make cheaper airplanes.
    KSCessnaDriver
    Private SES

The composite ALPHA--check out the the impressively long list of fully equipped included standard features that are usually, if not always, options on other aircraft. And they claim with the same cruise as a 172 and 1000fpm. Someone has seen a different vision, acted upon it coupled with aggressively slashed pricing.
    Ah....so to keep prices low, they decided to slash the budget for aesthetics. That thing is so ugly that it remind me about the old joke about what do a fat girl and a moped have in common.

Amen to that Jerry. The only LSAs I'd be caught in are the older models or a copy of one of them. Everything else just has this strange sperm with wings and a tail aesthetic I can't find appealing.

as it's typical cruise is 72-85 knots....too fast for me to really enjoy looking at the scenery.
    In the quiet words of the Virgin Mary: Come again? You're joking.....right Frank? Any slower and you'll have to start worrying about what would happen if you take a birdstrike from behind.

When Pipistral starts delivering the "Alpha" model to customers in the US for $85K, I'll become a believer.
    My thoughts exactly.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by kscessnadriver View Post
    So basically, you're one of the people that complain about the $100K S-LSA's, but then complain that the cheaper S-LSA's aren't really airplanes. Ah, I see it now, you want the $100,000 airplane for $20,000. Good to see logic applies

Do you work for the government? You appear to have an expertise, at best, in not comprehending what people are actually saying/writing. At worst, you twist and spin doctor my thought line and intention to form your own conclusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    Do you work for the government? You appear to have an expertise, at best, in not comprehending what people are actually saying/writing. At worst, you twist and spin doctor my thought line and intention to form your own conclusion.

I agree with you floats. KC sounds like money's no object. I've said for a long time now that the prices for these lsa's are way too high. I haven't figured out yet what a new airplane is supposed to look like. After all, an airplane, new or old, has to look like, well, an airplane. Right?

Marshall Alexander