View Poll Results: What GPS are you flying?

Voters
69. You may not vote on this poll
  • iPad - Wing-X

3 4.35%
  • iPad - ForeFlight

8 11.59%
  • Adventure Pilot - iFly 700

3 4.35%
  • PC Based – Mountain Scope or Seattle Av Voyager

1 1.45%
  • Anywhere Map

5 7.25%
  • Garmin – Aera 500 Series

3 4.35%
  • Garmin – GPSMAP 695/6 or Aera 795/6

6 8.70%
  • Garmin – 395/6 or 495/6

8 11.59%
  • Other GPS not listed above

29 42.03%
  • None – I don’t use a GPS

3 4.35%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What GPS are you guys flying?

Quote Originally Posted by mdharfst View Post
    Yes, I'm using the iFly.
    I have an older Lowrance 2000c wired up to my Trio wingleveler/autopilot.
    Given their exit from the market several years ago I wanted a backup that could take over for it eventually.
    I have them both positioned next to each other at the left edge of the panel on mounts.
    I haven't wired the iFly to the wingleveler yet, I'm still testdriving it.
    I like the amount of information and the intuitive menu and the touchscreen.
    I fly in a highwing with a shaded cabin, however the screen glare makes it almost unusable at times.
    By contrast the Lowrance is readable at all times.
    I had to learn to never wear light colored shirts, only blue or black to hold the glare down.
    I added a glareshield to the gps too.
    I flew from Portland to Reno for the Air races in September.
    The unit performed well and having the firefighting TFR's right on the screen was great.
    After my one year chart subscription is up I'll reassess and might put it on Ebay.
    mdharfst
    Thanks!

Let me know when you put it up for sale!

I was thinking of grabbing one for those "oh crap" moments. I fly so slow that I find it difficult to get truly lost - but when I do it's a looonnnnggg time to fly to the nearest landmark to validate position.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Nice Topic!
    My primary navigation tool is the same one Frank uses and is totally reliable for day VFR, it can be used at night but requires a flashlight. We have an older "Flybuddy II" panel mounted GPS unit in the club Archer. The TriPacer has a tiny "Garmin Pilot" handheld that sits on a bracket on top of the instrument panel. I can't read the little screen it's too small and too far away from my reach, plus it gets a lot of sun light. Both of these aircraft have VOR Nav radio units, the Archer has an ADF and is certified for IFR. I was trained to use everything available when flying cross-country, plan with sectionals, list out all the VOR's on route and dial them up as I fly. Yes, I do fly "direct" with the Archer's GPS it's very useful but I'm not totally dependent on it. I mostly fly "low and slow" within a 100 miles of home so I navigate by looking out the window. Someday I will buy an IPad since it has so many neat functions and I will be sure an get the Aviation Apps this will make a really nice backup!

Joe

We should really have this poll allowing multiple selections as it seems many of us use a number of different GPS units. I'm using a GNS-430 and GNC-300 in my PA-22, but I also bring Foreflight on the iPad with and my wife usually uses that as a back-up and to quickly get me frequencies, obstacle clearance, etc.

Name:  panel2.jpg
Views: 935
Size:  93.3 KB
    Dave Sterling
    1957 PA22-150/160
    N6929D
    Website

Quote Originally Posted by Treetop_Flyer View Post
    We should really have this poll allowing multiple selections as it seems many of us use a number of different GPS units. I'm using a GNS-430 and GNC-300 in my PA-22, but I also bring Foreflight on the iPad with and my wife usually uses that as a back-up and to quickly get me frequencies, obstacle clearance, etc.

Name:  panel2.jpg
Views: 935
Size:  93.3 KB
    Never envisioned myself saying this to a guy, but.....nice rack!

Quote Originally Posted by flyingriki View Post
    Never envisioned myself saying this to a guy, but.....nice rack!
    Thanks! Technically, it's 50% my wife's (Wisconsin is a marital property state). So I'll tell her you said she has a nice rack. I'm a pretty lucky guy to have that capability in a PA-22.
    Last edited by Treetop_Flyer; 11-29-2011 at 11:28 AM.
    Dave Sterling
    1957 PA22-150/160
    N6929D
    Website

Hey Dave!,
    That GNS 430 is a sweet unit to have in any airplane and really rare in a TriPacer. I used to rent a 172N with two 430's and a nice autopilot that made cross-country flying really comfortable. Do you have an autopilot to couple that 430 to in your TriPacer?

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Joe LaMantia View Post
    Hey Dave! Do you have an autopilot to couple that 430 to in your TriPacer?
    Funny you should ask Joe. I actually do have a Brittain AccuTrak II and AccuFlite II. The AccuFlite is a combination Wing Leveler and Heading Hold. The Accutrak will track whatever is being displayed on the MD200-306 CDI that is coupled to the GNS-430. So with the AccuTrack, I have the option of either tracking a GPS course or a signal off of a VOR. In theory it will track horizontal on an ILS but the Brittain unit isn't approved for approach...but in an emergency...ya know.

I have had zero problems with the Brittain unit and the company is still in business down in Tulsa doing installations and repairs. They are VERY helpful and easy to work with. In talking with them last year, they indicated they were working to get approvals to produce new systems (right now most stuff is either NOS or rebuilt and yellow-tagged). The good news is that this system is about as cheap as you can get for a certified aircraft and there isn't much that can go wrong with it. About the only downside is that if you lose the vacuum system, you lose the autopilot as well since the servos are vacuum driven. I do have a stand-by vacuum system as well, but I don't think it would drive both the instruments and the autopilot.

I use the autopilot often on cross-country flights and it's nice to have. Once I get her level and trimmed at altitude I engage the Brittain and relax.
    Dave Sterling
    1957 PA22-150/160
    N6929D
    Website

Heck, I'm stilll using my old Garmin 295. Always gotten me where I wanted to go.......Besides, I'm cheap.

Marshall Alexander

I'm using the Garmin 296 and have no reason to change......

I've made several cross country trips using the iPad 1 running Wing X Pro 7. Absolutely beats anything I've ever used before and I've had several
    from Garmin and Lowrance over the years. Charge me more for echarts, so what! For $99 a year I can get synthetic vision. Sure wish that
    Turbo Commander in Arizona had been using synthetic vision, 6 souls would be alive today! May they rest in peace!

Name:  Day_One_02.jpg
Views: 660
Size:  69.2 KB