Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: N-number Reservations

N-number Reservations

There is at least one active business reserving n-numbers and holding those numbers hostage.

Shortnnumbers.com

I do not see that it is right for a commercial business to take-over public property (like n-numbers) and hold them hostage/charge exorbitant fees to turn those numbers over to aircraft owners. I'm all for free market capitalism, but this just ain't right.

Under the current rules, someone could (theoretically) reserve all of the available n-numbers and charge an infinite amount the next time Boeing or Delta needs an n-number.

EAA and other advocacy groups need to work to put an end to this.

Unbelievable! I didn't want to give up my email address to find out how much they charge. EAA, are you listening???

PS, Kyle, I thought your post was worth repeating to the AOPA forum, so I did so giving you the credit as the author. If you object I will delete it. Glenn
    Last edited by gbrasch; 10-23-2018 at 09:29 AM.
    Glenn Brasch
    KRYN Tucson, Arizona
    2013 RV-9A
    Medevac helicopter pilot (Ret)
    EAA member since 1980
    Owner, "Airport Courtesy Cars" website.
    www.airportcourtesycars.com
    Volunteer Mentor www.SoAZTeenAviation.org

EAA Staff / Moderator
    Hello gentlemen,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. We're passing this onto our government relations director for review.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by gbrasch View Post
    Unbelievable! I didn't want to give up my email address to find out how much they charge. EAA, are you listening???

PS, Kyle, I thought your post was worth repeating to the AOPA forum, so I did so giving you the credit as the author. If you object I will delete it. Glenn
    Thanks, Glenn!

We've been aware of this outfit and 1-2 others for a little while now. We assume they use an algorithm to determine "desirable" numbers (even hundreds, short numbers, popular abbreviations) and then buy them as soon as they drop off the FAA rolls. At least in the corporate aviation world, there must be enough people willing to write the check to keep this business model sustainable (I once took a phone call from some corporate flight department looking to buy the n number off one of our museum aircraft - we declined). Fixing the problem may not be as easy as it looks, but we're looking into what we can do.
    Tom Charpentier
    Government Relations Director
    EAA Lifetime #1082006 | Vintage #722921

I once reserved a short N number in anticipation of building an airplane. Eventually I just bought a plane and didn't feel it necessary to change the registration number. A little down the road I was contacted by a charter company who wanted the reserved number. I gladly turned it over to them, a week later a gift certificate showed up at my door with thank you note. It's a shame that some "bottom feeder" would try to work the angles on something like this.

The most famous story along this line is from legendary aviation writer Peter Lert.

In the '70s, he built a trailer for his glider. It looked a lot like a rocket, so he found a clever combination of characters that spelled out the name of a famous rocket of the time, and used that to register his glider.

Years later, he was contacted by a company who wanted to buy his registration.

The number?

"N1KE"

Peter won't say what the compensation was, but admits he's never had to buy shoes, since....

Ron Wanttaja

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    The most famous story along this line is from legendary aviation writer Peter Lert.

In the '70s, he built a trailer for his glider. It looked a lot like a rocket, so he found a clever combination of characters that spelled out the name of a famous rocket of the time, and used that to register his glider.

Years later, he was contacted by a company who wanted to buy his registration.

The number?

"N1KE"

Peter won't say what the compensation was, but admits he's never had to buy shoes, since....

Ron Wanttaja
    I have seen that Gulfstream here in Tucson before when some big basketball games were going on, had to take a second look.
    Glenn Brasch
    KRYN Tucson, Arizona
    2013 RV-9A
    Medevac helicopter pilot (Ret)
    EAA member since 1980
    Owner, "Airport Courtesy Cars" website.
    www.airportcourtesycars.com
    Volunteer Mentor www.SoAZTeenAviation.org

Taree Airport (really) North NSW, Austrlia
    Unfortunately this is a rampant problem around the world.
    Anywhere there is the option of a customised name, registration, number-plate (HUGE trade there...), website etc, there will be some group that will try to reserve (especially if it can be done free) registrations, and a lot of authorities turn a blind eye to it, as if it's a paid for reservation, then it's income to the authority.
    Welcome to the free world I guess.

Classic capitalism - taking from the public and privatizing it. Humm where have we heard that before......?