Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ultralight instructor advocacy

The current policy (again, this is a separate document from the rule that is currently out for comment) for E-LSA does limit operators to one per FSDO area, and they are only eligible if they have been providing training since 2010. This was done to grandfather a few existing E-LSAs despite the fact that the rule didn't allow them to provide training. Other LODAs, such as E-AB transition training authorizations, have no such restrictions.

The NPRM changes the rule to make training in E-LSAs legal again, and the policy revision (at least if it is published as drafted) will allow ALL experimentals with a Vh of <87kts to be used in primary sport pilot training, with no geographic or duration restrictions. The FSDO will still have some discretion, but in our experience the vast majority of qualified LODA candidates are successful in applying.

So if you're basing your understanding of the process off the current policy, found here: http://fsims.faa.gov/wdocs/8900.1/v0...03_011_001.htm, just know that the policy should be changing to something significantly different soon.
    Last edited by Tom Charpentier; 10-27-2018 at 12:41 AM.
    Tom Charpentier
    Government Relations Director
    EAA Lifetime #1082006 | Vintage #722921

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Charpentier View Post
    The NPRM changes the rule to make training in E-LSAs legal again, and the policy revision (at least if it is published as drafted) will allow ALL experimentals with a Vh of <87kts to be used in primary sport pilot training, with no geographic or duration restrictions. The FSDO will still have some discretion, but in our experience the vast majority of qualified LODA candidates are successful in applying.
    Including LSA compatible EAB's would make it a lot more useful.

I've been thinking for awhile about getting my SP-CFI. I was looking at an EAB registered Quicksilver at one point in conjunction with that. I could have gotten the plane dirt cheap, but the cost of hangar rent (and unavailability of hangars) at my local field made it unfeasible.

When I was looking at the LODA thing, it looked like they required a lot, including a complete course syllabus, lesson plans, etc. It's a pity one of the former BFI providing groups (USUA, ASC, EAA) doesn't provide that (for a fee, of course) just like they sold the BFI stuff. Of course a CFI who did put such a syllabus together could be the next Gleim for ultralights...

Quote Originally Posted by Dana View Post
    Including LSA compatible EAB's would make it a lot more useful.

I've been thinking for awhile about getting my SP-CFI. I was looking at an EAB registered Quicksilver at one point in conjunction with that. I could have gotten the plane dirt cheap, but the cost of hangar rent (and unavailability of hangars) at my local field made it unfeasible.

When I was looking at the LODA thing, it looked like they required a lot, including a complete course syllabus, lesson plans, etc. It's a pity one of the former BFI providing groups (USUA, ASC, EAA) doesn't provide that (for a fee, of course) just like they sold the BFI stuff. Of course a CFI who did put such a syllabus together could be the next Gleim for ultralights...
    There is a way around having to get this LODA to start a training club. I have been thinking about doing this myself.