Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ultralight instructor advocacy

Ultralight instructor advocacy

Does anyone know what the timeline is for the EAA ultralight training reform? Or the date EAA posted this message on the website? https://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/aviation-...es/loda-reform

I was thinking about getting my Sport Pilot Instructor certificate if my 600 pound Avid Amphibian could get the required FAA Letter of Deviation Authorization or exemption for primary new student training.

No idea what the current status is but EAA published this update ~2 yrs ago:

https://www.eaa.org/en/eaa/eaa-news-...public-comment

Good news Marty.
    So it said it was released for public comment in Oct 2016. What happened?
    Maybe they are waiting for the 2019 LSA revamp?
    Last edited by Bill Berson; 10-21-2018 at 09:02 AM.

Hi folks,

As usual, FAA timelines can be frustratingly long, but an important update came across the wire just a few hours ago - the FAA finally published an NPRM to remove the E-LSA training restriction, per our request: https://www.federalregister.gov/docu...sport-aircraft

The original plan was to move ahead with the final publication of the LODA policy after this rule was finalized (since some of the activities permitted by the policy were enabled by the rule change), but since the rulemaking has dragged on, we have been working with FAA to get the policy published as soon as possible, hopefully within the next few months.*

Good timing on this thread - hopefully more good news soon. This is thus far NOT tied to MOSAIC (the rulemaking package including LSA reform), and we're looking to keep it that way for the sake of expediency.

Tom

*For those not familiar with the difference between rules and policy, policy administers a rule. In the case of LODAs, 14 CFR 91.319(h) allows the FAA to issue LODAs. The policy in FAA Order 8900.1 defines under what circumstances LODAs may be issued. Unfortunately, 91.319(e)(2) prohibits E-LSA from being used to provide training. With several E-LSA owners still out there seeking to provide training, we're looking to change the rule as well as the policy. Rules are MUCH harder to change than policy because of the complicated rulemaking process mandated by law.
    Last edited by Tom Charpentier; 10-24-2018 at 09:30 AM.
    Tom Charpentier
    Government Relations Director
    EAA Lifetime #1082006 | Vintage #722921

Hello Tom,
    I just read the FAA proposal. Can you clarify what "ELSA" is?
    My concern is that if "ELSA" is only an aircraft built before 2010 then I would have no way to use this rule change since I don't own an old 2010 two seat ultralight. Or would this proposal allow a newly built EA-B to somehow qualify as an ELSA?

From FAA proposal: "This proposed rule removes a date restriction imposed by the 2004 Certification of Aircraft and Airmen for the Operation of Light-Sport Aircraft Final Rule which prohibited the use of experimental light sport aircraft (ELSA) for compensation or hire flight training after January 31, 2010. Removing the date restriction allows owners, operators or training providers of ELSA that were eligible to conduct flight training prior to the cutoff date to do so again."

thanks
    Bill

Bill, E-LSA is "Experimental Light-Sport." If you don't have one, you don't need this rule change. The new policy change (again, this is separate from the rule change) will allow your E-AB to be used for Sport-Pilot primary training as long as the Vh (max sea level cruise) is <87. Hopefully, this policy change will be out soon. The rule change will enable relief for E-LSA owners whose aircraft are no longer eligible to provide training, but it's just a part of the overall reform package that we're working on.

I know this stuff can get confusing - feel free to give me a call if you want to discuss this in more depth: 920-426-4800 and ask for me.
    Tom Charpentier
    Government Relations Director
    EAA Lifetime #1082006 | Vintage #722921

Tom, if you can get the rule changed so I can use an EA-B for primary training without a LODA, I might then be interested.
    Otherwise, It appears it would be too much money and effort to apply for a LODA, that can be revoked any time.
    I will wait for news about the rule change.
    thanks

It looks like a LODA will be required, otherwise it would be a free-for-all which would be hard for the FAA to monitor.

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    It looks like a LODA will be required, otherwise it would be a free-for-all which would be hard for the FAA to monitor.
    Do they generally issue one exclusive LODA per region?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berson View Post
    Do they generally issue one exclusive LODA per region?
    Not aware of any such limitation.