Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Want to own the Bally Bomber?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    Dana, the listing from Courtesy says Hirth engines, not Rotax. I was mistaken about the radial part, I thought I saw them that way at Oshkosh.
    My mistake. But Rotax or Hirth, they won't sound like radials.
    The engines are 60 hp so 240 total which doesnt seem bad for an empty weight of only 1800 lbs. And how would you expect it to fly poorly, what do you base that on? Have you seen this plane or better yet seen it fly?
    A real B-17 flies very well.
    I have heard it said that it's underpowered. That may or may not be true. But I didn't say it would fly poorly, I just said, "I doubt that it "flies well", at least by ordinary sport plane standards." A real B-17 flies very well, but it doesn't fly like a light sport plane.
    And maybe you guys dont think this plane is extraordinary and want to find negatives about it, but I think it is special.
    Absolutely it's special, and a wonderful thing. The discussion is whether it would be worth the asking price to any potential buyer.

Like any piece of art, there's the physical cost of creation, and the actual value of the item to a particular buyer. Most pieces of art aren't practical, so their "performance" is usually not an issue.

Take, for example, an ermine violin. Most people wouldn't buy it just to play it, but if you find the right Trekkie, he or she might be willing to shell out good bucks for it.

The Bally Bomber is obviously not a good "everyday" aircraft, with limited capacity, increased maintenance, and restricted speeds. To pay a quarter-million dollars for the aircraft, the buyer must value it by its artistic merit, not by its ability to provide an aerial platform. To quote Indiana Jones, "It belongs in a museum." I hope Mr. Bally finds a buyer that values the aircraft on this basis.

Ron Wanttaja

And remember, there's exactly one of these in the world. That alone is of value to people.

- Andy

Quote Originally Posted by AndyGoldstein View Post
    And remember, there's exactly one of these in the world. That alone is of value to people.
    - Andy
    In aviation a one off is not a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by rwanttaja View Post
    Like any piece of art, there's the physical cost of creation, and the actual value of the item to a particular buyer. Most pieces of art aren't practical, so their "performance" is usually not an issue.

Take, for example, an ermine violin. Most people wouldn't buy it just to play it, but if you find the right Trekkie, he or she might be willing to shell out good bucks for it.

The Bally Bomber is obviously not a good "everyday" aircraft, with limited capacity, increased maintenance, and restricted speeds. To pay a quarter-million dollars for the aircraft, the buyer must value it by its artistic merit, not by its ability to provide an aerial platform. To quote Indiana Jones, "It belongs in a museum." I hope Mr. Bally finds a buyer that values the aircraft on this basis.

Ron Wanttaja
    I completely Agree. Well said

I saw this young gal depart KOSH the last day of Oshkosh ‘18. It was hard to reconcile the sight of a B-17 lumbering down the runway accompanied by the whine of four screaming Hirths. $275K is a nice retirement fund and there are plenty of people with that kind of disposable income who are EAA members.

A year later I'm wunderin' - it's no longer being listed at Courtesy Aircraft - did someone buy the Bally Bomber?
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Still listed on Barnstormers. Price is $185k OBO.
    Dave Shaw
    EAA 67180 Lifetime
    Learn to Build, Build to Fly, Fly for Fun

Thanks for the lead. Quite the mark-down. Hopefully they will recover at least some of their costs should a buyer materialize.

https://www.barnstormers.com/cat_sea...e=&price__lte=
    "Don't believe everything you see or read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    Dana, the listing from Courtesy says Hirth engines, not Rotax. I was mistaken about the radial part, I thought I saw them that way at Oshkosh. The engines are 60 hp so 240 total which doesnt seem bad for an empty weight of only 1800 lbs. And how would you expect it to fly poorly, what do you base that on? Have you seen this plane or better yet seen it fly?
    A real B-17 flies very well.
    As for ratings, a pilot was flying it at Oshkosh, so he must have had a rating. Maybe all you need is a regular light twin rating to get a Letter of Authorization.
    And maybe you guys dont think this plane is extraordinary and want to find negatives about it, but I think it is special.
    Talk to the pilot when there isn't a crowd around to find out how it flies. Non feathering props would make it very exciting if you lose an engine which is very possible with four two strokes.