Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Want to own the Bally Bomber?

Want to own the Bally Bomber?

Just saw the for sale notice on Facebook:

http://courtesyaircraft.com/aircraft...-bomber-b-17g/

I just can't imagine pouring that much time and effort into something, just to put it up for sale.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

I recall Mr Bally mentioning at AirVenture that he isn't able to fly the plane (I think he said he lost his medical?) so that may play a role in the decision to let it go?

Oof. That would just plain suck.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

Flying an RV-12. I am building a Fisher Celebrity, slowly.

Banned
    I can't imagine even a well healed single individual buying this for the asking price or anywhere near it. If sold, will probably be bought by a museum or warbird association or similar because of tax advantages.

Thanks for the information.
    I have spoken with Mr. Bally on several occasions regarding his B-17 build. When I first discovered his project a year or two ago, I was blown away. I asked him if he ever thought about doing a P-38. That's when he told me how long he has been working on the B-17 which was pretty much a decade or two so no P-38 aspirations.. For the price Mr Bally is asking you could find a war bird/ military such as T-28. Mr. Bally is a very nice gentleman and was very kind in regards to my questions. He is an inspiration to us all and he is a master craftsman.
    I am seriously considering doing a P-38.

I love this airplane and have nothing but respect for anyone who could do this kind of work. Saying this. This dude is trippin if he believes he will get 1/4 of a million out of this. It is worth its weight in scrap. Anyone who builds anything today knows this. I have a friend building an award winning Onex. He knows it will be worth maybe 1/16th of what he has in it if he ever wants to sell it. He can ask whatever he wants. But getting that kind of cash. Well when cows fly. I cannot say when pigs fly. Someone posted a pic of one flying in the right seat on my FB page.

A P-38 would be very very cool. Have you calculated what scale it would have to be? I am guessing 1/2 or maybe 60%

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    Well when cows fly. I cannot say when pigs fly. Someone posted a pic of one flying in the right seat on my FB page.
    Dear EAA Forum readers,

I don't know much about cows or pigs flying, but I do know that turkeys can fly(sort of).

Yours truly,

Les Nessmen
    WKRP, Cincinnati

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    Dear EAA Forum readers,

I don't know much about cows or pigs flying, but I do know that turkeys can fly(sort of).

Yours truly,

Les Nessmen
    WKRP, Cincinnati

I remember that episode...lol..

Back to regular programming...lol