Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Rumor of Light Sport Weight Limit Change

Quote Originally Posted by L16 Pilot View Post
    Still I think it gets down to spending upwards of $100,000 for what is essentially an "adult toy" is unreasonable for most folks.

When you compare that cost to a new Cirrus, then it appears to have moved the needle in the direction the FAA was hoping for. Having said that, (adjusted for inflation, 1959-2018) it is not quite the $76,000 average delivered price of 1959 C150s.

Quote Originally Posted by L16 Pilot View Post
    Still I think it gets down to spending upwards of $100,000 for what is essentially an "adult toy" is unreasonable for most folks.
    For most, probably, yeah. I spent a WHOLE lot less than that and can outrun a 172, hauling 450# of people and bags with full fuel. If I could fly something faster, I would. If I could fly something bigger, I would. But I can't, so I fly what I can. It's useful. That said, enlarging the spectrum of what qualifies as light sport is a good thing.

Pretending there is nothing between a Champ and a $150K brand new S-LSA seems to happen a lot, but it's either uninformed or disingenuous.
    Measure twice, cut once...
    scratch head, shrug, shim to fit.

S3flyer, my bladder won't last that long !LOL
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    IMHO the Sport Pilot Certificate was designed to get folks in the air for the fun of being in the air. Then those who get this certifiacte want to use it as a Private Pilot would use his certifiacte. That is to commute for one state to the bext hauling his wife and enough cloths for a few day stay somewhere. Now these people doing this want an airplane that is more like the GA aircraft to fly using their Sport Pilot Certificate. If the mission stayed at flying for the fun of it, there would be no need for higher weight limits, IMHO. If you want to fly a 172 get a PP ticket.

Let the beating begin.
    While I agree with you completely - I viewed the Sport Pilot ticket as one for "fun" flying rather than to use an aircraft for transportation, this is part of the whole Many Faces of Aviation. More cynically, I look at it as a way to get "fat ultralights" and ultralight pilots (regardless of how fat they are) on the books.

Before Basic Med, a lot of Private Pilots used Sport Pilot rules to fly without a current medical, and I can see how they would chafe at the limitations of LSA compliant aircraft.

And I can certainly see some Sport Pilots not fully appreciating what they wanted out of aviation from the start and wanting something different. We see this all the time with selection of aircraft folks decide to build, after all. From too expensive to wrong fit for the mission they want to too complex a build, it's the alphabet of miscues that puts a lot of started aircraft on the market.

And yes, not all LSA's are created equal. The FlightDesign CTLS is a hot little aircraft that is a great "getaway" aircraft for those who want to travel and know how to pack light, for example. The picture perfect max gross weight, cruise speeds numbers, etc., are a testament to amazing engineering in that they all hit the max allowable with not one digit over.

My little single seat biplane with no luggage capacity that cruises at 60 mph is also LSA compliant. I spent about 13K building it, prop to rudder. Is it an "adult toy?" Yeah, except it involves a lot of attention to detail to use and could kill me if I mistreat it or don't respect it.

Now, let's talk about a radical approach to LSA compliant aircraft, in that we keep all the current restrictions except for gross weight. Just throw it out.

Our new LSA:

Max. Stall Speed: 51 mph / 45 knots CAS
    Max. Speed in Level Flight (at sea level In the US Standard Atmosphere):138 mph / 120 knots CAS
    Max. Seats: Two
    Max. Engines / Motors: One (if powered)
    Propeller: Fixed-pitch or ground adjustable
    Cabin: Unpressurized
    Fixed-pitch, semi-rigid, teetering, two-blade rotor system, if a gyroplane.
    Landing Gear: Fixed (except for seaplanes and gliders)

For the Sport Pilot, nothing else changes - still Daytime VFR only, etc.

Remove the gross weight line entirely and a bunch of non-LSA aircraft (such as the Cessna 150) are suddenly open, and the spirit of the rule is maintained. It's a light, single engine, simple aircraft meant for daytime VFR.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.