Thread: Mac users

Mac users

What can Mac users do to use this? Dual boot, buy and install Windows? Eeek. If that is the only way, then I'll skip it.

To use what? For the Microsoft sim that's probably what you need to do, but X-Plane is available for the Mac and Linux, as well as for Windows. Check out their website.

Larry N.

You could try Parallels. I use this to run the GODAWFUL PIECE OF CRAP Jeppesen GPS card updater (which barely works on Windows, put mostly works under Windows-Parallels).
    I'd be inclined to try OpenBox or one of the VMs as well.

Buy a dedicated Windows box to run the sim on. The built-in graphics for PCs is pretty good now. Go to a custom shop and tell them what you want. I've been a customer of a shop down the way for twenty years, they sell PCs as low as $250.

http://www.infotechnow.com/index.php?cPath=55

Or buy a used, (slightly) older machine and re-install Windows (or Linix) on an SSD. The solid-state drive is a game changer.

Most of the simulators are pretty old, and probably won't tax a modern PC.

Ron Wanttaja

I have a 2015-model Mac. For quite some time now, they've been Intel based. MacOS offers a utility called Boot Camp which allows all recent Macs to be booted directly into Windows. MacOS walks you through the set up process, and it's a piece of cake if you're reasonably competent with computer tech. Once running Windows, you'd never know you were running a Mac. All the hardware has Windows drivers, and it's fabulous. A native Windows OS not running in a virtual machine (like Parallels or VMWare). Just like dual-booting into Linux (if that's your bag). I personally put Windows on a second hard drive, but you have the option of partitioning your primary drive and put Windows on part of it.

I run AutoCAD and SolidWorks on it and it performs like any other Windows computer I've ever had. Highly recommend this option. And it doesn't take up additional valuable physical real estate because you're not in need of space for an extra computer, monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc. Obviously your flight simulator accessories have to be USB devices because Macs don't have serial ports like computers of old.

Best of luck!
    Chris
    Last edited by Chris In Marshfield; 10-03-2018 at 03:28 PM.
    Christopher Owens (EAA #808438, VAA #723276)
    Germantown, WI
    Bearhawk Plans #991, Bearhawk Patrol Plans #P313