I got my PPL as a teenager about 20 years ago. At that time I worked at a pilot supply store and between rides offered and friends I would go flying more days then not. I continued to fly in college but probably only 50 hours a year. I attempted to do my BFR in a new town and had a terrible experience. The oral lasted 4 hours and was an ever continuing game of stump the chump. I had studied my OEG, the ASA BFR guide, had a session with CFI friend of mine (over the phone) and was fairly confident going in. The questions I got asked appeared more on the commercial level - how do mags work? Describe air flow in the carb, etc. When I paid I asked the instructor about the depth and probably challenged him that it was protracted and didn’t follow the usual level of knowledge or topics. The owner overheard this and told me attitudes like mine equal dead pilots and bent metal so I should be thankful for the way they do and to expect 6-10 hours for a BFR flight in order to ensure I’m up to their standards. I ended up going home a couple weeks later, getting my BFR (both oral and flight) in a few hours. However, I never really got flying again. It is almost 20 years on and I’ve maybe gone flying 5 times. I miss it terribly - but with a young family the thoughts of being classified as unsafe haunts me.

If I want to fly as risk adverse as possible how should I got about? How often should I fly? Should I continue to gain certificates to keep learning? I heard Sean D Tucker was scared of flying and sought aerobatics as a means to improve his flying skills - should I do aerobatics? It’s funny being a license pilot and scared to go flying.......