Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: JetEZE crash, Pilot lost

Quote Originally Posted by BoKu View Post
    I don't think that's exactly true. I'm not an engineer, but I'm pretty sure that the foam is indeed loaded in shear as it reacts lift loads out of the skin and into the spar.
    Eh, a little bit, but Mr. Lewis is pretty much correct at least in the case of the blue flotation foam used in the wings, canard and winglets of canard aircraft. Mostly, it's there for ease of fabrication (gives shape without a mold) as well as supporting the skin against sheet buckling.

Quote Originally Posted by BoKu View Post
    An engineer like Marc Z. could tell us for sure, and probably exactly how much.
    Well, if we had an engineer like Marc Z. hiding somewhere around here, maybe he could tell us for sure (and how much), but thankfully, I know of none. Marc Z. himself, however, cannot tell us for sure (or how much) - only what his understanding of the situation is :-). Which is that the actual shear transferred by the foam is a very small percentage of the total, if even measurable.

However, the facts are clear that composite materials (foam, fiberglass, epoxy) are completely capable materials for the construction of both experimental and certificated aircraft, when designed and used appropriately.

This is the 21st century and composites are in. Boeing is having good luck with the 787. Airbus over in Alabama is doing just fine with the A 320. When the Sikorsky 76 hit the market, I got checked out in the type. (before there even was an "A" model.) The structure forward of the MLG is Kevlar honey comb. Its called the Kevlar Komet. I've seen some of these AC take some horrible hits, flown into the ground or rolled over. They were all put back in service. There are at least 3 nations that use these as combat aircraft. No problem with structures. Our civilian models got hydraulic and electrical upgrades however from lessons learned in the military ops. This type weighs in lighter than semi monococ aircraft, but a lot tougher. And they don't corrode.

I'm glad to see that several posters to this thread are looking at aileron flutter. If that turns out to be the cause, it doesn't matter how much you up grade the hardware or even make the wings of plate steel.

Bob