Quote Originally Posted by battplatt View Post
I will leave my opinions on the "why people serve" comments out of this, however, it seems no one has fully answered your question so:

The full list of medial requirements to be a pilot and/or navigator are listed here:
http://wantscheck.com/PilotSlotResou...8/Default.aspx

The requirements are the same for a fighter pilot and a heavy pilot (medically speaking of course...). Having glasses does not limit you from being a pilot provided your uncorrected vision is within the listed tolerances. There are even possibilities of having laser eye surgery done to help, but be careful, because if done incorrectly it can permanenty limit you from flying in the USAF.

As far as TPS, i an tell you that they prefer an engineering type background from the degree standpoint, additionally most people i know that end up there have been fighter type guys who have flown more than one aircraft in the USAF. This is tuff to do in today's environment within the USAF, but not impossible.

Do not let any comments here sway your decision to serve or not serve. If you want to fly B-52s for the USAF then good on you, go do it. You must follow your own path and not let comments from strangers sway you. Do what is right for you. Personally, joining the USAF and "signing my life away" for ten years has been a rewarding and interesting life experience. I wouldn't do anything else and dread the day i have to figure out what i will do after this...Yes there are civilian avenues to accomlish the same goals, however, realize that the training an aviatior recieves in the military is excellent and speaks volumes within the civil aviation industry if and when you pursue a job after the military.

I recognize that i say all these things from a biased position, so do your due diligence by researching every facet of this decision before you make it.
Thanks! Really Appreciate it!

Everyone, thanks for all the help! This should help me!