Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Fly Baby Made of aluminum like a Aerodrome WW-1 Replica?

I came across some info and pictures of a "VP-I" all aluminum ultralight, although it looks akin to a MimiMax. It's called a CA-2 and Hummel Aviation used to sell plans for it but don't anymore. I don't know why. Anyway, I actually found a couple of videos on YouTube of two different ones flying and they looked pretty good, I don't think either of them had the performance of the MiniMax though, so I don't know if sacrificing performance just to build with aluminum would be worth it. I've never built (anything flyable) with wood but I do like using aluminum. About 1990 or so I had a Nomad Honcho and it would hit 48 mph WOT, and with a 36 ft. wing span any little breeze was bad. Even with an ultralight, I still want to be able to fly somewhere and not just in the pattern!
    Bob

I have been writing Aerodrome and it should be Airdrome...Duh!?!

Quote Originally Posted by robert l View Post
    I came across some info and pictures of a "VP-I" all aluminum ultralight, although it looks akin to a MimiMax. It's called a CA-2 and Hummel Aviation used to sell plans for it but don't anymore. I don't know why. Anyway, I actually found a couple of videos on YouTube of two different ones flying and they looked pretty good, I don't think either of them had the performance of the MiniMax though, so I don't know if sacrificing performance just to build with aluminum would be worth it. I've never built (anything flyable) with wood but I do like using aluminum. About 1990 or so I had a Nomad Honcho and it would hit 48 mph WOT, and with a 36 ft. wing span any little breeze was bad. Even with an ultralight, I still want to be able to fly somewhere and not just in the pattern!
    Bob
    He has only three planes he sells now, the Hummel Bird, Ultracruiser and H-5 (A beefed-up Ultracruiser.)

Here's the Website: http://flyhummel.com/

The Ultracruiser is the Ultralight he has a kit for and plans cost around $14,000.

Quote Originally Posted by RonK View Post
    That would be a screamer with either of those!

I'll tell you what Robert says, I may call him sometime this week. His phone is probably off for the Holiday today.
    Okay, so Robert is out in the middle of nowhere, so if you call and don't get an answer, wait a few minutes and call again. He might have walked into a black hole of phone service.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post
    Okay, so Robert is out in the middle of nowhere, so if you call and don't get an answer, wait a few minutes and call again. He might have walked into a black hole of phone service.
    That happens within the confines of my house ! Technology ! Well, at least we aren't on a party line !

I have the same problem, 1 minute I have 4 bars the next NO SERVICE. I'm probably more out in the boonies than Robert.

Frank G I saw your IL-2 Videos on your EntropyUnlimited youtube channel. I use to fly in that IL-2 video game online I was with VF-17 for a while. I was VF-17_DWolf, ( Short for Desert Wolf. ) I remember you in that game. Are you still playing the upgraded Patch versions?

I have IL-2_CUP, but they have one better than that now.

Lately, I've been spending to much time playing World of Warships. I'm slowing down playing it so I can get more done around the house and fix my truck!

PS...I checked out where Roberts Airdrome is, on Google Maps, I am more in the Boonies than him for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by RonK View Post
    I have been writing Aerodrome and it should be Airdrome...Duh!?!
    Airdrome "Aeroplanes" probably was the confusion.

We're going far afield from the original thread, but my flight simming has dropped off quite a bit.

When the modders got their hands on IL-2: 1946, multiplayer just went down the toilet - I spent more time chasing down mods to ensure compatibility than I did flying!

I fire up Rise of Flight now and then, mostly to shoot touch and goes and fly around when the weather means bad real life flying. Oddly enough, the SPAD is a really good analogy for a 7AC Champ, and the Nieuport acts pretty much like my Nieuport (except I dodn't have to blip the engine).

Do me a big favor and leave a comment on my videos if you watch them; the only way they'll get better is if I know what I'm doing wrong.

[edit]

On travelling to Holden, MO, for the builder's assist - I did the math and the gas back and forth in the truck wasn't much more than shipping. Having a fuselage in the bed of the truck and all the spars and stuff strapped on top of it got me some odd looks all the way back from Alabama.

Also, I've seen the full scale version of the EIII when I was at Gardener a few years back - it's a large aircraft! Powered by a VW, of course.
    Last edited by Frank Giger; 09-05-2018 at 09:02 AM.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    Airdrome "Aeroplanes" probably was the confusion.
    Yep, that's what did it.