Thread: Can you explain reduction drives to me?

Banned

Can you explain reduction drives to me?

Guys,
    As I am shopping for an UL and I am seeing many direct-drive and reduction-drive choices.
    I'm hearing about B-Boxes - C-Boxes, etc.

If it's not too much trouble can someone give me the skinny on all this, and why I might
    want or not want these features?

I'm just a Cessna guy here and trying to learn all I can before I choose a plane.
    Thanks
    John - Columbus Ohio

many non-aviation engines develop their power at an RPM which is too fast for a propeller to operate efficiently. That is especially true with two-stroke engines. There needs to be a way to turn the engine fast but propeller slow. That's where a reduction drive comes in. If you have a fast turning engine and need a large(r) dia prop, there will have to be a propeller speed reduction unit or PSRU in there.
    Yes, they come in a lot of flavors, gears, belts, etc.

They are also designed to load the engine properly with a given prop. Improper engine loads are a concern for sudden engine failure. Just buying an engine with a redrive not knowing ,what the range of prop size and pitch. Be aware of these and ask for specs.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    many non-aviation engines develop their power at an RPM which is too fast for a propeller to operate efficiently. That is especially true with two-stroke engines. .
    This is very helpful.
    So am I to understand that on the planes I see on youtube with direct-drive engines the prop needs to be smaller?
    And if you go for a larger prop to gain more thrust you need to slow it down with gear reduction?
    Thanks
    JB

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Norman Langlois View Post
    They are also designed to load the engine properly with a given prop. Improper engine loads are a concern for sudden engine failure. Just buying an engine with a redrive not knowing ,what the range of prop size and pitch. Be aware of these and ask for specs.
    Thank you,
    This seems like a very important consideration as the wrong prop could put too much load on the engine and could result in damage or failure.
    Is that right?
    JB

Yes a combination that over revs is as bad as one that is over loaded. The engines that are being used have been by trial I assume . Have an optimized rpm with load . In order to maintain cylinder head temp. Know as cht. And exhaust temps known as egt . Both important for the overal longevity of these mostly 2 Stroke engines. A direct drive such as the half VW has a prop size more relevant to the tip speed. Typically most operations target around 2600 to 3000 rpms at the output 2 stroke engines optimize power output near 6500 rpms but can not run at this continuously. This makes a reduction nessisary . One needs to take time to set up the carb ,the prop , the pitch to optimize and maintain there rpm and temps through a proper engine loading . All of this starting with recommended components ending with those all important temps and rpms. Operating outside of manufactures recommendations is risk .