Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ailerons: Yea of Nay

The Ercoupe has the traditional aerodynamic control surfaces that could control pitch, roll, and yaw if connected to conventional controls but without the rudder pedals the pilot has only two axes of control, pitch and "turn" (coupled yaw/roll). The effect is the same as a Quicksilver or Sky Pup without any form of roll control surfaces and just a rudder, but Ercoupe's coupled controls reduce the initial skidding before dihedral effect takes over in a turn.

Quote Originally Posted by CHICAGORANDY View Post
    As I understand it the Ercoupe is a three-axis airplane, it links the rudder and ailerons to the control wheel instead of having rudder pedals (an optional accessory)
    Matthew Long, Editor
    cluttonfred.info
    A site for builders, owners and fans of Eric Clutton's FRED
    and other safe, simple, affordable homebuilt aircraft

]

Those yokes in Cessna 12/140's were the same but different.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by martymayes; 08-26-2018 at 01:29 PM.

Aeronca Chief had that yoke also.

My first UL was a Quicksilver MX in the configuration that had the rudder on the stick and spoilers on the pedals. I'm a PPL and had to convert the rudder to the pedals to be comfortable. The spoilers didn't really do much, but if you normally fly coordinated then it will feel more natural. Crosswinds are a problem as the spoiler will not keep the upwind wing down. I actually landed across the runway several times. Not being able to handle much wind was why I sold the Quick and bought a CGS Hawk and got flaps in the bargain. So, with your GA experience I think you would be happier with three axis.

Just as food for thought here are a couple of photos of a Criquet Leger, one of the designs by the late Emilien Croses, probably the best-known "disciple" of Henri Mignet, who put his own spin on the two-axis Mignet tandem formula.

Name:  Criquet L 2013 1.jpg
Views: 874
Size:  36.9 KB

You can see here another example of a proven two-axis system. The wheels turn left and right to control the rudder, and they pivot on the bottom to actuate the pushrods that goes through the center hub to control the incidence of the front wing for pitch control. There are two pedals that you can just see but they only control brakes. The two levers on the side of the cockpit control tabs on the rear wing. They are are used together for pitch trim and differentially to dial in little bit of "aileron" when making a crosswind landing.

Name:  Criquet L 2013 2.jpg
Views: 787
Size:  48.9 KB

I came very close to buying this plane in France back in 2013, I had actually rented a truck to go see it in person and bring it home, but I chickened out in the end as it needed some work and I was about to go overseas again. Side note...my son in the picture is now 15 and taller than me.
    Matthew Long, Editor
    cluttonfred.info
    A site for builders, owners and fans of Eric Clutton's FRED
    and other safe, simple, affordable homebuilt aircraft

If you do not have ailerons, wing dihedral is your friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berson View Post
    Aeronca Chief had that yoke also.
    yeah, that yoke supplier was making a killing!

My first flights was in a MX with spoilers. I found in a cross wind of 5 mph or less you could land this aircraft. To me this was a lot of fun.