Thread: Camping: Fuel for generator

Camping: Fuel for generator

Hi, All;

I've always stayed in the dorms, and for 2019 we're giving serious consideration to a Class C motorhome.

I'm curious as to how you refuel your tank for generator use. Since I don't yet have a motorhome, I'm under the impression that the generators just use fuel from the main gasoline (in my case) tank.

I know 50-57 gals of gas will not last all week on generator duty assuming 24 hr use (or 12 hr use). Assuming I *don't* end up in the water/electric spaces, is there a service available similar to the black water trucks that will refuel your vehicle? I'll have to say I've never noticed one when I ventured into Scholler, but you never know...

Thanks for any insight...

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton

I've been bringing my Class C for many years now; fuel is not an issue. I'm assuming you will be on the grounds enjoying the show while you are at Airventure? I ask because I never understand why some camping rigs never shut off their generators. That said, I only run my generator in the morning during breakfast and to charge my batteries. In the evening, I run the generator to cool things off if it's been hot than turn off around 10pm; I don't camp in 24 hour generator area. I fill my tank before setting up camp and never really see any change in my gas gauge 8 days later. Granted, use will vary but if Airventure is why you are there, generator gas won't be an issue in a class c with a 40-50 gallon tank.

Marty, we *may* bring our dog with us; depending on the year, I don't want to rely only on open windows for his ventilation hence the a/c. Concur with your method otherwise. And yes, he's acclimated to aircraft noise up to and including mil jets. And no, we don't expose him to it w/o mutt muffs.

Carl Orton
    Sonex #1170 / Zenith 750 Cruzer
    http://mykitlog.com/corton