Thread: Harold Gallatin (EAA 20) and his Pobjoy engine

Harold Gallatin (EAA 20) and his Pobjoy engine

I am trying to discover more about the Pobjoy engine that Harold used to run at EAA events during the late 1950s and perhaps 1960s. Was it a Cascade model? What was its history, and where is it now?
    Thanks.
    Last edited by CLA-7; 08-16-2018 at 08:13 AM.

OK, no one able to assist.

Is there anyone who is able to put me in touch with the family of Harold Gallatin? I believe he was local to Oshkosh.

I recall Harold donating his Pobjoy to EAA at Oshkosh ‘80, because I was with Gene Chase when he accepted it. It was the only Pobjoy I’d ever seen and it reminded me of the comic strip character on the cover of Trade-A-Plane in the mid-70’s that used to refer to them jokingly. I don’t know whatever became of Harold’s engine. There were some shenanigans pulled back in those days and the culprits are now either dead or still not talking.

Crusty ... many thanks for that. The museum does still have the Pobjoy Cascade series II, #2502. Engine #2501, the only other Cascade II, is still in position on the AC-35 at the Smithsonian.

The next stage of having the EAA museum look for original paperwork is ongoing. Fingers crossed.

Harold’s old engine certainly had many experimental mods done to it. It’s nice to learn it still exists.

Thanks, Paul.