Thread: What it's like to depart from OSH! - VIDEO

Big Grin What it's like to depart from OSH! - VIDEO

So technically this video is from my trip to OSH17, but it doesn't look like too many folks have posted videos of their OSH Departures, so I thought I'd throw mine into the mix incase you're already going through withdrawals. The arrival gets all of the love (for good reason), but the departure demands respect and a good set of ears. You'll operate outside of your comfort zone as you leave (they want me to taxi up to where?????), and you still won't be able to talk back to the controllers. Also - when they're ready for you to go they're READY for you to go!

After we got clear of the Delta, we both remarked that this seemed almost more intense than the arrival (but we didn't come in during the totally crazy OSH18 day that everyone is bragging about).

A few other fun things - Where DO we do the run up? Departing right after a fighter jet! A special guest appearance by the Blue Angels (thanks to those folks for making a surprise appearance this year!).

This trip was my first stay under a wing AND my first visit to the North 40. The EAA spirit was so evident there - need to push your plane back? A handful of pilots just magically appear and help you get ready to go.

That's a really cool thing. It's what makes EAA and aviation special.

Only a few short months and it'll be time for OSH19 - I'm already dreaming about it!

Shoulder belt looked like it was giving you some problems. Great video

What day did you depart ?

Quote Originally Posted by skyfixer8 View Post
    Shoulder belt looked like it was giving you some problems. Great video
    Yeah - that inertia reel has been giving him trouble, I know they're talking about replacing them to get something that's less of a hassle!

Quote Originally Posted by robert l View Post
    What day did you depart ?
    This was 2017 - I believe the Friday of that week. This year I was stuck with ground based transportation!

Thanks for posting it. I also watched your arrival video (cannot remember for which year) which I enjoyed. I like your MO; always looking around for traffic, strict adherence to checklists, CRM... etc. I'd feel comfortable flying with you.

Have not attended since my second visit in 2015 and beginning to develop a serious twitch due to withdrawal. Will definitely return in 2019 and probably 2020.

To be fair - most of the credit goes to Marty for that - he's Mr Checklist and I've learned a lot flying around with him.
    Gotta get the OSH fix!