Thread: FAA safety wire regulations?

FAA safety wire regulations?

The engine I'm using is water cooled and I have TWO drain plugs about 9" apart from one another.
    I want to safety wire them and this aircraft will be inspected for air worthiness.
    Is their a FAA manual on regulations for safety wire on how far the bolts can be and how many twists per inch?
    Thanks

if this link does on work ,do a google search for "far 43".......your info should be in the far-43 , the far-43 is the standard bible for airplane mods repairs. ... .. . link= https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/part-43 ... .. . good day / rick

oops..............if this link does ""not"" work ,do a google search for "far 43".......your info should be in the far-43 , the far-43 is the standard bible for airplane mods "&"repairs. ... .. . link= https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/part-43 ... .. . good day / rick

FAR 43 is the regulations, but what you want is Advisory Circular 43.13:

43.13-1B - Acceptable Methods, Techniques, and Practices - Aircraft Inspection and Repair

Thank you

Technically, it's not required on E-AB flying machines, but you're correct that the inspector has every right to refuse to sign if he doesn't like what he sees.

"Best Practices" is the term you're looking for, and they are all over the place when it comes to building an aircraft.

Frank "Gooder Enough Practices" Giger
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Giger View Post
    Technically, it's not required on E-AB flying machines, but you're correct that the inspector has every right to refuse to sign if he doesn't like what he sees.
    Every condition inspection, my A&P re-does anything I safety-wired over the past year. D'you think he's trying to tell me something?

Ron "Supposed to be a twist, not a square knot" Wanttaja

Current spec is NASM33540, and it incorporates Safe-T Cable as an approved system now. IO couldn't find a free copy of it online, but all the data but the Safe-T cable stuff is in MS33540 Rev J, which is online and available from various sources for free. MS33540 was superseded 1998 by the NASM spec. My go to site for specs is everyspec.com.

For best practices, read AC43.13-1B, chapter 7, section 7. You'll find all the recommended specs, including the answer to your specific question.
    Download individual chapters or read it on line as .pdf files here.