Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: ELT battery replacement

Close duster... Close but on a certificated aircraft you need specifically a SIGNATURE and the type of pilot certificate. The word OWNER is spurious.

You're correct....I assumed everyone would know a signature is required and that's what I meant by "NAME." (Bad when you assume anything.) On the other hand, during a recent safety seminar it was stated that "Owner" should also be entered since it's "owner-performed" maintenance and just any pilot's signature wouldn't work. A little discussion followed and the key word was "should" since the regs don't specify it and a little checking can verify whether the pilot signing is really the owner. In any case, maintaining the logbooks should be just as meticulously done as maintaining the aircraft.

I don't know who this discussion is with, but it was wrong. OWNER is spurious. It's also not limited to the OWNER. The reg says "owned or operated." BOTH the name and the signature are required by regulation. You can argue that those can be the same thing, frankly given most people's signatures, I'd make sure the name is listed legibly.

I am meticulously doing the log books. I am following the prescribed REGULATION for making the entry rather than relying on what a bunch of good ol' boys hanging around after an seminar think ought to be in there.
    Last edited by FlyingRon; 11-25-2011 at 07:19 AM.

The FAA's preferred method of making maintenance record entries is given in AC 43-9C. It's all there, read it. it is online at FAA.GOV.

Thank you, Tom.

I have tried, without luck, to interpret how the FAA treats the use of batteries that have expiration dates. My ELT system uses various sizes of Duracells that all have dates on them. The first couple times I replaced them all and used those removed for years in other devices. The last time I had saved, unused, the previous year's batteries and put them in so I 'changed' the batteries with some that were within voltage and date life spec. Seems a silly way to meet the requirement but I have heard there is an allowed way to do this given the lack of use, full charge and dating provided by these manufacturers. Anybody know the facts or am I dreaming again........?
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by flyingriki View Post
    I have tried, without luck, to interpret how the FAA treats the use of batteries that have expiration dates. My ELT system uses various sizes of Duracells that all have dates on them. The first couple times I replaced them all and used those removed for years in other devices. The last time I had saved, unused, the previous year's batteries and put them in so I 'changed' the batteries with some that were within voltage and date life spec. Seems a silly way to meet the requirement but I have heard there is an allowed way to do this given the lack of use, full charge and dating provided by these manufacturers. Anybody know the facts or am I dreaming again........?
    Thanks!
    91.207 says
    (c) Batteries used in the emergency locator transmitters required by paragraphs (a) and (b) of this section must be replaced (or recharged, if the batteries are rechargeable)—
    (1) When the transmitter has been in use for more than 1 cumulative hour; or
    (2) When 50 percent of their useful life (or, for rechargeable batteries, 50 percent of their useful life of charge) has expired, as established by the transmitter manufacturer under its approval.

how difficult is that to understand ?

when your ELT uses D cell batteries that have a date of 2015 on them and you placed them in service today when are they due for replacement?

Most rechargeable batteries (ni/cad or ni/mh) will self discharge in a few weeks. A lithium rechargeable might not self discharge as fast.
    I would not use anything but the usual alkaline D cells normally used.

Does anyone use rechargeable?
    Bill

....as established by the transmitter manufacturer under its approval.

Since I don't read 'governmentese' what does this mean? How does it affect or modify the first part of the sentence on 50% of useful life?
    I don't know what was established by my manufacturer under it's approval.........
    Last edited by flyingriki; 11-25-2011 at 09:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingriki View Post
    Since I don't read 'governmentese' what does this mean? How does it affect or modify the first part of the sentence on 50% of useful life?
    I don't know what was established by my manufacturer under it's approval.........
    many manufacturers make their own batteries and date them, you change them at that date. those who use the "D" cells you use their date on the batteries.

So to answer my question above, you would change the batteries on or before the date on the batteries. and do the 91.207 inspection each year.