Thread: A Candidite Above Others

A Candidite Above Others

One Candidate for office is literally above others. And that may be a play on words but its true. I don't know much about the lady, except the photo in the news today caught my eye, there she is waving from the back seat of a T-6, and with a big smile, she's either about to go for a flight or just back from one. I notice it says "Avenger Field" on the side of this plane and that is the airport in Sweetwater in West Texas where the WASP trained back in the WW II days. Its out SW of Abilene sort of in cactus country. Her name is Rashide Tlaibe, and she is a veteran. She's from Michigan.
    So we probably vote for the best looking candidate if we are honest enough to admit it. And any lady in the seat of a T-6 looks good to me. Now if she owned the T-6 and would promise to give me a flight, I might even send her a donation. The news story doesnt work well on this computer so it doesnt tell me who the plane owner is or the details of when and where the flight was, but all humor aside, if we could take everyone in office or running for office for a flight, CAREFULLY AND SAFELY, it would be good for gen aviation.
    A slightly related story, years ago when the elder George Bush was running for election they were at an airport in Louisiana and there was a nice Stearman there whose owner offered George a ride. The Secret Service of course objected and Bush reminded them who was boss. Bush had actually flown this very plane as a cadet in flight school. When they came back for a landing the owner was holding his hands up in the air to show he was not touching the controls on final and George made the landing himself. The old man has some spirit, as evidenced by his several parachute jumps in later years.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    One Candidate for office is literally above others. And that may be a play on words but its true. I don't know much about the lady, except the photo in the news today caught my eye, there she is waving from the back seat of a T-6, and with a big smile, she's either about to go for a flight or just back from one. I notice it says "Avenger Field" on the side of this plane and that is the airport in Sweetwater in West Texas where the WASP trained back in the WW II days. Its out SW of Abilene sort of in cactus country. Her name is Rashide Tlaibe, and she is a veteran. She's from Michigan.
    So we probably vote for the best looking candidate if we are honest enough to admit it. And any lady in the seat of a T-6 looks good to me. Now if she owned the T-6 and would promise to give me a flight, I might even send her a donation. The news story doesnt work well on this computer so it doesnt tell me who the plane owner is or the details of when and where the flight was, but all humor aside, if we could take everyone in office or running for office for a flight, CAREFULLY AND SAFELY, it would be good for gen aviation.
    A slightly related story, years ago when the elder George Bush was running for election they were at an airport in Louisiana and there was a nice Stearman there whose owner offered George a ride. The Secret Service of course objected and Bush reminded them who was boss. Bush had actually flown this very plane as a cadet in flight school. When they came back for a landing the owner was holding his hands up in the air to show he was not touching the controls on final and George made the landing himself. The old man has some spirit, as evidenced by his several parachute jumps in later years.
    Is this the same Rashida Tlaib that is running for office and has campaigned with pro Hamas Linda Sarsour and has connections with terror organizations ? T-6 or not, I think I'll pass on this one !
    Bob

Robert, if you are in S C and she is running for office Michigan I dont think you have a vote in that race anyway. My post is to emphasize the aviation aspect, not so much the election, however it's pretty strong to accuse someone of "connections with terror organizations'. I dont know much about her so looked up some and find she is Muslim as many others are in parts of Michigan, and her Mother was born in Pakistan, who is supposed to be our ally. I'll bet $20 she has not endorsed any terror organization.though she may well have advocated for Palestinian rights in Gaza.

You could very well be right, I didn't do any research beyond reading the article. When I saw her name my old memory bank kicked in about something I read a few days prior. And yes, S.C. is a long way from Michigan, but I did live in Lansing for about 9 months back in the '60's when I played in a Rock N Roll band !!! LOL
    Bob

Robt. I suppose I am like most Americans, in that I generally support Israel as out ally. even though I am not Jewish. I really only know one side of the dispute very well, I dont have and really never have had any Palestinian friends. I had an memorable experince some years ago as I was asked to give some flight trainiing to one of the active Isreaeli pilots who needed piston fighter time in order to fly the WWII fighters in their museum. We flew a couple of days and he went back an flew their planes successfully. I ran into him at Sun N Fun one year. He loved American sidewinder misslels , had two Mig kills with them and really hated the Arab enemies, not much grey area in his view.

I tend to be very cautious when a politician uses X or Y experience that has nothing to do with actual politics as a resume builder.

A politician who is also a pilot may well be in favor of privatizing the ATC, for example, or of restricting E-AB aircraft in some onerous way. Being a pilot would not give her any more support for those positions if she took them.

The worst, IMHO, is the use of military service. I served over 20 years in the US Army (don't thank me for it, it was both an honor and privilege; indeed, I think I got more out of it than the Army did), but that doesn't mean that my opinion on any given topic is any better than someone who never served, and may indeed be worse. Nor is it a sign of patriotism that excludes others who didn't serve, or elevates me above others. I'm just happy that there is a career field where one can make noise and break things legally.
    The opinions and statements of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

Word !
    Bob