Thread: Chrome Moly 4130 Motor Mounts - Prefab Parts?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nixrox View Post
    Aaron - do you have any x-ray film to prove that your welds are defect free? How about Ultrasonic weld inspection reports by a certified UT Tech? How many CGSB or ASNT level 2 or 3 certifications do you hold? I have done X-ray yes, Ultrasonic yes, I don't live in Canada.

You cannot weld on certified aircraft without a license. Here in the USA yes you can, you just cannot sign it off.
    You cannot fly an aircraft without a license. The OP is working on an ultralight, so yes he can.
    You cannot perform maintenance on a certified aircraft without a license. Unless you are the builder or it is an ultralight true. Or if you are working under someone with the proper credentials.
    You cannot perform NDT inspections on aircraft without a license. Again, in the homebuilt world yes you can, and even in the certified world anyone can do the work as long as a person with the proper credentials signs it off.
    You cannot weld anything in the oil or construction industry without a license and a successful welder test at the site. That is because the weldors self certify each weldment, and much of the history of pipeline welding is linked to unions and having to hold union "tickets" etc etc. Not that pipelines ever have failed welds.....
    What makes you think anyone should be allowed to weld on an aircraft without a license or any recognized training or testing? That's not up to me, that is up to the FAA, and they don't exclude anyone.

Did you notice that not one of the sarcastic responding trolls or naysayers mentioned the EIGHTEEN (18) destroyed aircraft due specifically to weld problems since 1996. Are we counting the ones caused by the design and production engineers improper welding processes and procedures?

I rest my case and will let Darwin's theory root out those individuals who like to tempt fate.
    As a person with some NDT knowledge, I would have expected you to have a better handle on defect propagation and structural analysis.
    Good luck by the way. The majority of the failures I see are fatigue initiating in the microstructure of the HAZ, nothing that can be found with NDT, and that is why my efforts have concentrated on best practices from a design and welding process perspective. The reinforcement sizes of proper welds on 4130 tubular structures are so oversize ( a good thing) that even large oxide inclusions seem to pose little threat.
    See above for my comments.

Just for clarification, you were an inspector, not a weldor correct? I see in your list of tools that you have mig welders and a stick welder, so I am guessing you yourself do not do, or teach aerospace welding? Just trying to get an idea what your experience level and type is?
    Last edited by Aaron Novak; 10-10-2018 at 11:24 AM.