Hello all!!

I am currently building custom motor mounts for my 503 on custom UL. It has been been pretty straight forward so far, but I am stuck on the fabrication of some support uprights. I am using chrome moly 4130 tubes, and wish to join them up top by using same method common to that of most firewall mounts. I have attached picture to show the method I would like to reproduce for my application.

Name:  engine-mount-fw-example2b.jpg
Views: 1576
Size:  64.1 KB

I will likely use AN4 or AN5 bolts, and need to fabricate the bushing piece with round foot plate (sorry if my terminology is not accurate, but you get the idea). I was wondering if there is source for these small assemblies already produced? Then I can just attach and TIG my tubes and save some time. I checked leading edge, aircraft spruce, cannot find anything. They seem so common I figured there must be a supplier for them ... if anybody knows source please let me know.

Alternately, I have all the machine tools to make them, I find 4130 at mcmaster and can make the bushing from solid 4130. Their stndard tubing does not seem to have thick enough wall for this so I expect I would need to make from solid rod and bore out center on lath, no biggie. The round foot plate got me scratching my head tho, I cannot find discs or washers from 4130 (and of course I want to stay with same metals for TIG welding). I cannot image slicing such thin discs (from round bar) on the band saw for them, and likewise cannot image cutting circles from sheet metal either. Maybe a small hole saw and cut from sheet? There must be a better way or source for them??

Thanks in advance for any help or guidance on this one Kevin