Thread: Removing fabric and glue from vintage aircraft

Removing fabric and glue from vintage aircraft

Hello;

I am looking guidance for removing fabric and glue from a vintage aircraft restoration project. The particular issue is where fabric wraps around a wood structure. We need to get at the glue between the fabric and the wood without damaging the wood.

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by GonzalezA View Post
    looking guidance for removing fabric and glue from a vintage aircraft restoration project. The particular issue is where fabric wraps around a wood structure. We need to get at the glue between the fabric and the wood without damaging the wood.
    Do you know what kind of fabric and process??

Yep, that would be good to know. PolyTak can be softened with MEK. Other adhesives have their own strategies. Dopes have their own solvents. Epoxy, you're just going to have to deal with mechanically.

Thank you for the reply's. I am researching the fabric and process. More information to come

Thank you to those who replied to my question. I forwarded your questions to the person working on the restoration project. He was able to remove the material with a heat gun. Your questions are saved in my note book for next project.