Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Newby here with a question

Newby here with a question

I thought I read that you have to build a certain percentage of an aircraft for it to be considered a home built. Is engine work considered a part of that percentage? That is either getting a parts kit from an engine manufacture, or doing an automotive engine conversion.

Quote Originally Posted by enginesrus View Post
    I thought I read that you have to build a certain percentage of an aircraft for it to be considered a home built. Is engine work considered a part of that percentage? That is either getting a parts kit from an engine manufacture, or doing an automotive engine conversion.
    No. You can buy an intact, ready-to-start engine, and it doesn't affect the percentage.

Ron Wanttaja

I said parts kit, never said intact ready to start engine. So the answer is engine work is not part of a home built aircraft then? Meaning no credit for it?

Yes, there are several engine-related tasks that can be counted toward the "major portion" of the construction. The guidance is found in the form of the FAA's "Fabrication and assembly checklist", which can be found at the following link:

https://www.faa.gov/aircraft/gen_av/...syCklistFW.pdf

Page 8 of the checklist contains the "propulsion" tasks. Item 17 on this last is "assemble engine". Check out the other tasks listed for a full understanding of what you can get credit for.
    Cheers!

Joe

Actually, there's no OFFICIAL percentage to justify an Amateur Built certificate. All it takes is construction of the aircraft for educational or recreational purposes. The 51% rule (and the associated task list) applies to approval of KITS.

There's no percentage that applies specifically to the engine in either case. There's no such thing as an E-AB certificated engine.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    Actually, there's no OFFICIAL percentage to justify an Amateur Built certificate.
    That's not correct Ron. The regulation states that an amateur-built aircraft (no mention of "kit") is an aircraft the "major portion of which has been fabricated and assembled by persons who undertook the construction project solely for their own education or recreation." That's directly out of 14 CFR 21.191(g). So in order to get an amateur-built airworthiness certificate, you must be able to document that the "major portion" (i.e., more than 50%) of the fabrication and assembly tasks were completed solely for the builder's (singular or plural) education and recreation. So the official percentage is more than 50%, which we all refer to as the "51% rule".

So whether it's a kit or not, the "51% rule" applies. You can get a kit, or you can hire out the first 49% of the fabrication and assembly tasks, but the other 51% of the tasks must be complete by amateur builders. The checklist I offered the link to in a previous post is what we use when we need to make a major portion determination.
    Cheers!

Joe

It looks like "engine assembly" (P17) counts for only one point on checklist, as mentioned.
    P27-P30 could be used also.
    Last edited by Bill Berson; 08-04-2018 at 05:41 PM.

Engine "counts for only one point" ???? Okay so what percentage of the actual build is that? How many points are needed?

Well, apparently the builder needs 51% of the applicable points that are listed.

So I could get an old Cessna 150 rip it apart and rebuild it, though I would have to fabricate 50 some percent of the parts? Would that qualify?