Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Newby here with a question

Quote Originally Posted by enginesrus View Post
    So I could get an old Cessna 150 rip it apart and rebuild it, though I would have to fabricate 50 some percent of the parts? Would that qualify?
    Nope, that won't work. When you start with any aircraft (or part of an aircraft) that has been operated under any type of airworthiness certificate previously, you can't claim to be the "builder". There is specific language in the FAA order regarding this issue. Any work, (even fabricating new parts) for a pre-existing component is considered "repair" and not fabrication. You may be able to get some form or experimental certificate for such a project, but not amateur-built.
    Cheers!

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by enginesrus View Post
    So I could get an old Cessna 150 rip it apart and rebuild it, though I would have to fabricate 50 some percent of the parts? Would that qualify?
    You could reverse engineer the entire plane then build one from scratch and it would be an E-A/B airplane. That would be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    You could reverse engineer the entire plane then build one from scratch and it would be an E-A/B airplane. That would be interesting.
    Interesting for sure ! But why reinvent the wheel ? I have a pair of CH-701 wings, the rudder, stabilizer and elevator for sale that would fit the bill for the 51% rule !

Quote Originally Posted by robert l View Post
    Interesting for sure ! But why reinvent the wheel ? I have a pair of CH-701 wings, the rudder, stabilizer and elevator for sale that would fit the bill for the 51% rule !

hey....stay out of my fantasy! lol

So with an experimental rating can the owner do all the mechanic work on it just like for the home built?

Quote Originally Posted by martymayes View Post
    hey....stay out of my fantasy! lol
    If it's what you want, go for it ! Don't pay me any attention, I'm just here for the beer ! LOL
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Joda View Post
    Nope, that won't work. When you start with any aircraft (or part of an aircraft) that has been operated under any type of airworthiness certificate previously, you can't claim to be the "builder". There is specific language in the FAA order regarding this issue. Any work, (even fabricating new parts) for a pre-existing component is considered "repair" and not fabrication. You may be able to get some form or experimental certificate for such a project, but not amateur-built.
    I believe you mean if the aircraft held a Type Certificate and not if it held any kind of type of airworthy certificate. For an Experimental does not hold any type certificate but does hold an type of airworthiness certificate. If I purchase a used experimental and no one has requested the repairman certificate for this airplane and I can show the knowledge, even though I am not the builder I can still get this repairman certificate if I can demonstrate the knowledge needed to hold this certificate even though I am not the builder of said airframe.

Tony
    Last edited by 1600vw; 08-07-2018 at 09:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 1600vw View Post
    I believe you mean if the aircraft held a Type Certificate and not if it held any kind of type of airworthy certificate. For an Experimental does not hold any type certificate but does hold an type of airworthiness certificate.
    Correct, however, even though an RV-8 does not hold any type of type certificate, I can't buy a fully completed and flying (a/w cert) RV-8, bring it home, rip it apart and put it back together and claim to be the builder. All I did was disassemble and reassemble.

If I purchase a used experimental and no one has requested the repairman certificate for this airplane and I can show the knowledge, even though I am not the builder I can still get this repairman certificate if I can demonstrate the knowledge needed to hold this certificate even though I am not the builder of said airframe.
    What is your source on that? I ask because that would contrary to the FARs where it says:

§65.104 Repairman certificate—experimental aircraft builder—Eligibility, privileges and limitations.
    (a) To be eligible for a repairman certificate (experimental aircraft builder), an individual must—

(1) Be at least 18 years of age;

(2) Be the primary builder of the aircraft to which the privileges of the certificate are applicable;

It seems to me to say that if you are not the primary builder of the plane you purchased, you're dead in the water as far as getting a repairman cert.

I believe you mean if the aircraft held a Type Certificate and not if it held any kind of type of airworthy certificate.
    Actually, it doesn't matter what type of airworthiness certificate the aircraft was operated under. You can't take a major component from an aircraft that has already held an airworthiness certificate of any kind, and use that component to count toward the major portion of a new amateur-built aircraft. A standard category aircraft component should be self-explanatory. Nobody can claim to be the "builder" of a wing or fuselage (or whatever) that was built by an aircraft manufacturer. But the same applies to a homebuilt aircraft. For example, you can't take a wing off an already-certificated homebuilt and install it on your newly-constructed fuselage and apply that wing toward the major portion requirement. Someone else already got the credit for that wing, and that credit was applied toward the airworthiness certificate that was issued to the original aircraft. You can't turn around and claim credit for the fabrication and assembly of that wing.

If I purchase a used experimental and no one has requested the repairman certificate for this airplane and I can show the knowledge, even though I am not the builder I can still get this repairman certificate if I can demonstrate the knowledge needed to hold this certificate even though I am not the builder of said airframe.
    Nope, that doesn't work either. When talking about amateur-built aircraft, the person applying for the repairman certificate must be the "primary builder" of the aircraft. If your name doesn't appear on the eligibility statement (FAA Form 8130-12) you won't get a repairman certificate for the airplane no matter how much you know about it. You must be the primary builder AND you must exhibit enough knowledge of the aircraft's structure and systems so as to be able to properly inspect the aircraft.

Now, for experimental light-sport aircraft the rules are different. You only need to be the OWNER of the aircraft in order to qualify for the repairman certificate, but you MUST first attend and graduate from a 16 hour course of instruction provided by an approved provider. Once you have passed the appropriate course, you can apply for a repairman certificate for an E-LSA that you own. But this doesn't work for amateur-built aircraft. For amateur-built, you must be the primary builder in order to qualify for the repairman certificate (but you don't have to take the course).

Check out 14 CFR 65.104 (amateur-built) and 65.107 (light-sport) for specific regulatory details.
    Cheers!

Joe

I didn't even ask the question but, my heads about to explode. Very interesting indeed ! Thanks, and keep it up !
    Bob