Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oshkosh 2019.

Wish I could have seen the Yak-110. Saw it fly during one of the air shows, but was not able to find it to view up close. I attended the forum on the Yak-110 build on Wednesday at the IAC building, and I know one of the guys said where it was parked, but still was not able to find it.

I would like to see the BIG 6 engine Russian Cargo plane at Oshkosh .

Quote Originally Posted by skyranger View Post
    I second that!

As I recall, it was scheduled to come a few years ago, but the payload they were bringing over cancelled and they couldn't afford to feed those 6 engines for the trip without paying cargo.
    Dave

I recall an awesome moment in time many years ago when the Soviet Unions AN124 was sitting on the west ramp nose to nose with the C5 Galaxy.

EAA Staff / Moderator Hal Bryan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by psvinny View Post
    I recall an awesome moment in time many years ago when the Soviet Unions AN124 was sitting on the west ramp nose to nose with the C5 Galaxy.
    That was 1989 - my first trip to Oshkosh!

Hal Bryan
    EAA Lifetime 638979
    Vintage 714005 | Warbirds 553527
    Managing Editor
    EAA—The Spirit of Aviation

Quote Originally Posted by Hal Bryan View Post
    That was 1989 - my first trip to Oshkosh!
    I still remember the tears in my eyes when the AN124 taxi'd back in with Hoot Gibson holding the Soviet flag and the Soviet pilot holding the US flag. I saw a lot of hankies up and down the flight line.

Some Soviet humor: A friend who is an EAA and warbird member some years back was in the Navy and flying intercepts off a carrier of the Russian "Bear" turboprob long range bombers that routinely cruised off the U S coast and probably were packed with electronic spy gadgets and recon radar etc. It was pretty routine, the Russian crews knew the U S fighters were coming and we knew and no one wanted to do something dumb and start a war. In fact they had a common radio frequency and could talk to each other, plane to plane. The Russians were still a bit full of it during the cold war, and blustery. So my friend pulls up of the wing of the Bear, and their pilots are looking out the window and he says on the radio. "Are you guys lost, you're a long way from home," the Russian comes back, " You soft Americans, you go home every night and drink Coca Cola." This trash talk goes on for awhile, could be Barkely and Magic, until the American pilot says, "If everything is better in Russia, How about the Russian women? " The Russian pilot comes back, now in a subdued tone, "You got me there Yank, Russian women not too good."

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    ...until the American pilot says, "If everything is better in Russia, How about the Russian women? " The Russian pilot comes back, now in a subdued tone, "You got me there Yank, Russian women not too good."
    I guess they both forgot about or were ignorant of those famous, amazing Russian female fighter pilots of WW2 known as the Night Witches.

I read that there will be an F-35 demonstration team next year. They will be at the Milwaukee Air & Water Show on July 27 & 28.
    Any chance of an exhibition at our convention earlier in the week?
    http://airshowstuff.com/v4/2018/usaf...dule-released/

That also puts two significant aviation events pretty close on the same weekend and it's the same in 2020. Is that expected to affect weekend attendance at Oshkosh?
    Last edited by PaulDow; 12-05-2018 at 08:53 PM.