Thread: Ski flying

Ski flying

I am a new private pilot (around 150 hours) and new airplane owner I own a 1949 Cessna 140A. I recently purchased a set of Federal A-1500 skis, along with all the nuts and bolts for my plane. So, no I have a little buyers remorse. So a few questions:

1. Should I obtain some dual instruction in ski flying? If so, where?
    2. While we get a good share of snow, my airport KVLL plows the runway. So, I might have to relocate for the winter (or depart when the runway is still snow covered).
    3. Is it difficult to find fuel en route?

I would like to fly-into some remote lakes, a ski plane fly in (maybe Oshkosh in January) etc. But I may end up having to ship the skis, fly into a local airport and switch over to skis for the trips. Is this practical? Unfortunately, wheel ski's are outside of my price point. What is everyone else doing?

Thanks in advance,

Daniel

Where are you? In the Maine, New Hampshire area, the folks at Western Maine Aviation up at Eastern Slopes Regional will do dual instruction on skiis.

The one friend that I watched strap skiis on his airplane and go try to teach himself convinced me that finding dual instruction is a much better idea. Its easy to bend the airplane.

Best of luck,

Wes

I second the motion. In an airplane, never try something new without instruction. You DON'T have to make all the mistakes yourself - learn from those who have..... Flying on skis is quite different that flying on wheels -- errr... correct that landing and taxiing on skis....etc. In the air - pretty much the same...
    Cheers,
    Jerry

NC22375
    65LA out of 07N Pennsylvania

Happy

So it looks like KVLL is Troy, Michigan. Your Federal Skiis should be able to accept some axles with tires on them. If I remember correctly, there is an extra hole in the leg for that. Those tires allow you to roll the airplane on skiis around, and even taxi carefully (best have a helper as you have no brakes). It kinda works like you see them move skid landing gear helicopters around using little auxiliary wheels. So the next question is whether airport management will be OK with your taking off and landing *next* to the runway in the winter instead of right on it. The Airnav.com photo looks like you have space to do that. If you get the OK to do that, then you just have to roll your airplane over to where the snow starts, pop the wheels off, and go flying. Put the wheels back on when you come back. That has been done at my home base. We have a control tower with a sense of humor and they were fine with ski operations.

So if you can find some dual instruction, you might be able to ski fly right from your home base.

Oh, and I seem to recall that Burton snowboard bottoms fit onto that model Federal.

Best of luck.

Wes

Axels for a Cessna 140

Check to see if you have solid axels on your airplane. If not Grove Aircraft sells them for less than a $100.00 each. Trust me, you need them.