Thread: The Ford TriMotor Rides

The Ford TriMotor Rides

Among my many life memories made at AirVenture this year I will carry the splendor of riding in the 1928 Port Clinton TriMotor last Wednesday. Yes, it IS $75 which is not insignificant but it was a trip in a true time machine harkening back to what our parents/grandparents experienced in their state-of-the-art air travels. IMHO it was worth every penny of that entry fee.

I had the sheer luck/good fortune of being one of the first two people in line for the flight so I was seated in one of the first pair of seats, directly behind the pilot and co-pilot of the beastie, and in line of sight with the starboard engine. Great fun.

I don't opt to buy a ticket every year, in fact it has been 4-5 years since my last flight, but I hope you all save up the bucks and take a ride the next time you attend the convention - I am sure you won't regret the purchase. Next year I'm going to hitch a ride on one of those Bell "M.A.S.H." style helicopters at Pioneer Airport and relish that $49 adventure.

Some where in the South Pacific,I also do Flyovers for the Green Bay Packers Home Games,GO PacK GO!!
    I concur !!

First year I came, I bought my son who was 14 and had just started glider instruction. I put my name in the Ford drawing. Got a call later that day that I had won a ticket. Started talking to the poor guy that called, do I give it to my son (obviously I would have), or do I take it, but what will my son do. He quickly sad I'll give you two tickets. We need to do it again. My son is twice that age now. He very fondly remembers that trimotor ride, as I do....

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Although I didn't buy a ride this year, it has been a regular part of attending for the past several years. It truly is a time machine. Such a wonderful flight. Especially seeing the Seaplane base from the air. And if I'm not mistaken, if you buy your flight before 8 or 8:30am, you get a small discount.

I got a trimotor ride a few years ago right before the field went IFR. It was odd being up at 1500' (about where they circle and seeing clouds BELOW us). That was the last ride they made of the day.

I spend a bit of time on the corner of the P3 taxiway and the paved ditch where "big ford" and "little ford" make their entry to the runway to takeoff. It's always amazing watching those pass by.

Quote Originally Posted by CHICAGORANDY View Post
    Among my many life memories made at AirVenture this year I will carry the splendor of riding in the 1928 Port Clinton TriMotor last Wednesday. Yes, it IS $75 which is not insignificant but it was a trip in a true time machine harkening back to what our parents/grandparents experienced in their state-of-the-art air travels. IMHO it was worth every penny of that entry fee.

I had the sheer luck/good fortune of being one of the first two people in line for the flight so I was seated in one of the first pair of seats, directly behind the pilot and co-pilot of the beastie, and in line of sight with the starboard engine. Great fun.

I don't opt to buy a ticket every year, in fact it has been 4-5 years since my last flight, but I hope you all save up the bucks and take a ride the next time you attend the convention - I am sure you won't regret the purchase. Next year I'm going to hitch a ride on one of those Bell "M.A.S.H." style helicopters at Pioneer Airport and relish that $49 adventure.
    I did the Tri Motor in '16 and the Bell this year, loved both of them. Did the B-17 in Elko Nevada in 2007. Also this year, I got a ride in the M Square two seater in the Ultralight area. In 2009 got a ride in the New Standard D-25 biplane at SNF. I have never regretted paying for an airplane ride !!!
    Bob
    Last edited by robert l; 08-02-2018 at 06:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wrongway Feldman View Post
    I concur !!

My last trip in the same Ford.
    Name:  44950006.jpg
Views: 743
Size:  93.3 KB

Name:  44950014.jpg
Views: 709
Size:  99.0 KB