Thread: The Winners

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The Winners

Grand Champion warbird award last night was the newly restored P-51 C , Lopes Hope named for Don Lopez, and from the Dakota museum, Warren Petch and the guys, they didnt have their very nice Spitfire Mk IX judged. I tried to tell them that the judge owed me a favor and if they just let me take that plane up for a half hour I could guarantee them an award, but no sale.
    Reserve Grand champion went to the Canadian Spitfire from Gatineau, re Mike Potter, Dave Hadfield . Having two Spitfires parked side by side in the prime display spot was great, and the Canadian one flew in the show!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Greenwood View Post
    Reserve Grand champion went to the Canadian Spitfire from Gatineau, re Mike Potter, Dave Hadfield . Having two Spitfires parked side by side in the prime display spot was great, and the Canadian one flew in the show!
    Great news, it's a beautiful aircraft, I saw it at Warbirds in Review. As you probably know more than most, it's a MkXV1. I've got to get up there one day to Vintage Wings of Canada.

The previous Spitfire owned by Mike Potter was a MK XVI , it was SL721 formerly owned by Woodson Woods of Cafefree Az. We flew together to Osk bought 18 years ago. a fun day. then it was sold to Mike and went to Canada and about 12 years ago it and my TE 308 were parked side by side at the Geneseo show. They sold 721, I think it went to the museum in Wash is that Paul Allens? I think I saw it there. This Spitfire is a Mk IX like the other one. It does have the round exhaust like XVIs had but the low back canopy and the cannons of a IX.
    I enjoyed the presentation a Warbird Alley and was surprised to see my plane in the intro video on the big screen. The one with the red spinner and two seats and pilot with light colored helmet is it, shows a taxi sceenthen a landing on 27 and then taxing in and you can see the RJM side marking and 308 on the rear. The video talked about how easy it is to fly and then that landing. I''go with that landing not perfect but pretty good and 3 point and slow. 27 is a good runway, think all my landings on that have been pretty good.
    Last edited by Bill Greenwood; 07-30-2018 at 09:22 PM.