Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Oshkosh 2018: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

Oshkosh 2018: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

Okay, Oshkosh week is sadly about half over, so what do people think is going well, needs improvement, etc.?

I'll start. The good...it's Oshkosh week! I've already met some fantastic people and seen some fantastic flying. Got to see a 93 y.o. WWII Marine vet get a free P-51 flight. I can still get ice for my soda at the A & W, and my favorite mini-doughnuts are back. I've had some good meals too, including salads. Doc is back. The Heritage Flight made me teary-eyed. Danny the announcer is as over-caffeinated as ever. The tram service is doing well. The Vintage bookstore has lots of good books in stock. Seeing "Spitfire" on the big screen and two Tuskegee Airmen speak. So many other things...

The bad...the parking needs help. Too many permit-only lots. Wednesday's weather in the evening...not sure why the night airshow wasn't cancelled earlier. Too many golf carts zipping around. No Eisenhower jackets. Most of the movie selection didn't appeal to me, but no doubt it appealed to others. IMO "Airplane!" should be shown every year.

The ugly...nothing so far for me, but I wasn't trying to leave after the night airshow was cancelled.

The bad: I think someone mentioned already in another thread about the loss of tent camping spaces. Drove around for almost an hour today looking for a spot. Finally settled on a spot next to a dumpster and porta John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Add another good, the night airshow has been rescheduled for tomorrow. I usually don't stay for it but it's so popular I hope a lot of people who were there tonight can come back tomorrow.

Assuming minus the B1 since they bounced tonight right before the TSRA hit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BeagleOne View Post
    Add another good, the night airshow has been rescheduled for tomorrow. I usually don't stay for it but it's so popular I hope a lot of people who were there tonight can come back tomorrow.
    That would be wonderful. Have a link?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by N3kf View Post
    That would be wonderful. Have a link?

Saw it on Twitter......

Today, Pelton said the slow tram/shuttles will be improved next year.

For the ugly, I'll go with people's behavior in Scholler. It's usually disgusting, but this year took it to new lows.

That bowl shaped thing in the porta-johns is a urinal. It's not a wastebasket for toilet paper, and certainly not someplace to take a dump.

When cars, buses, bikes, scooters are making their way down the roads, why is it necessary for groups to walk five across, staggered yet, deliberately blocking them? Some kind of power trip? Jealous? I'll say, petty, self-important as--ole.

Then there is the clueless, ignorant dweeb, manning the security office by the fly mart. The one when told some equally ignorant person was running a generator in the signed "no generators" area, said that they were allowed from 7am-10:30pm and that there is no such area AND no such signs now or ever in past years. Then the lazy as-, who didn't have a campground map, told me to go take a picture of the sign! The generator is still running, btw, behind the outhouses at 26th and elm.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Berson View Post
    Today, Pelton said the slow tram/shuttles will be improved next year.
    How is a tram going to go faster ? Has Mr Pelton ever been on one while trying to make its way through a crowd of people that refuse to get out of the way? They are farm tractors. Lucky to get more that 7 MPH from them.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post
    That bowl shaped thing in the porta-johns is a urinal. It's not a wastebasket for toilet paper, and certainly not someplace to take a dump.
    That's not at all funny in any way....but I can't stop laughing.