Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Oshkosh 2018: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

It was certainly after 1992 which was when I started. The beer tent was still on the old SOS property and the Shifflebeins had corn and brats for sale on the corner of their lot. The SOS brothers had a big sign for a few years protesting the EAA land grab. I suspect it was gone by 2000 but my memory is hazy. If you remember the old forum tents, then you predate the landgrab.

I was in the N40 from 1994 until 2003 when I moved to HBC. It may be that I never went far enough West from the flightline to notice all of the land shenanigans.

+1 with Beagleone. Ban smoking. Period. It has no place whatsoever at Airventure. I could go on and on as to second hand smoke exposure, the 4000 toxic chemicals found in cigarette smoke and the obvious dangers of lit cigarettes in close proximity to dry grass and aviation fuel, but I won’t. Common sense and half a brain should be able to tell anyone it doesn’t belong at Airventure. Combine that with the clear and obvious presence of weed at this years show and it might be enough for my family to not return.

On the the plus side the F-22’s, F-15’s, F-18’s, F-5’s Doc, Mustangs, Corsairs, C-17 and the night Airshow fireworks and wall of fire were absolutely amazing!

I wonder what health hazards exist in inhaling all that air show smoke? Can't be 'good' for yer average lungs.

Quote Originally Posted by CHICAGORANDY View Post
    I wonder what health hazards exist in inhaling all that air show smoke? Can't be 'good' for yer average lungs.
    We all have the upgraded "aircraft grade" lungs.....doesn't bother us at all........

Quote Originally Posted by streffpilot View Post
    We all have the upgraded "aircraft grade" lungs.....doesn't bother us at all........
    ...He died doing what he loved...

Quote Originally Posted by CHICAGORANDY View Post
    Yes! but pilot's lungs are like their flying skills - Waaaay above average!!

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    We lost a lot of real estate on the grounds due to the installation of the 8' tall security fence and the "perimeter road.
    All of which can be laid at the feet of the former airport manager, who didn't do any favors for the EAA convention. Fortunately, we recently got a new airport manager, so we are hopeful that we won't have so much of that kind of thing going on. We shall see!
    Cheers!

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
    Combine that with the clear and obvious presence of weed at this years show and it might be enough for my family to not return.
    My first visit to Oshkosh was 1984 and there was the clear and obvious presence of weed then.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post
    ..... installation of the 8' tall security fence and the "perimeter road...
    I did notice that super-duper Guantanamo style fencing! Protecting us all from the homeland security threats, I'm sure.
    Bryan

Houston