Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Oshkosh 2018: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

My wife, Sue, and I had a great time at Oshkosh! I've been attending since the old Rockford days and have witnessed plenty of changes that have been necessary to grow and exhibit the love we have for flying! One thing really stuck out on our drive from SW Missouri, the huge number of businesses advertising for skilled workers! And, at Oshkosh. the indications and talk of a growing economy spurring growth and innovation in aviation. I understand that there were problems hiring kids to work the event this year due to them having other jobs! Hope to see old friends and meet new ones next year! Another note, we love to see families and tons of kids at Oshkosh! My kids and grandkids love being there! Lynn Pitts EAA #49054

My ugly comment:

when we were cheaking in at CAMP we paid seperately (NOT new for us) I explained we would be a little difficult because of that well somehow the person thought on *my* membership that I was renewing as well I could ONLY do one week pass so mine was 125 my moms was 390 (That was NOT on my card!) I’m like my membership will do both person DIDNT believe they tryied pushing a membership on my dragalong (my mom) the person COMPLETELY did NOT believe me I had to DIG OUT the website and SHOW where it said “member guest” person was SHOCKED when it worked! Like I should NOT be treated like I’m stupid AND I should not have to train people! Further there was a sign BY THE PRINTER that said “2 wristbands per membership”

I tryied the email contact they no longer care or reply —I tryied Facebook they “claimed” they were telling membership but I NEVER heard back

I HONESTLY don’t think I’m asking much wanting to know people will be correctly trained and THAT wont happen again!

Another thing (that I personally helped with) someone was getting upset with security they wanted a LEAD like WHERE to look for there car they had a rough ideal and they knew what was in the area security REFUSED to listen or care (he WASNT ASKING THEM TO FIND IT!) I took the couple minutes with my mom and I honestly hope he found it but he seemed to have a good feel just wanted to make certain —it was a few minutes there were plenty of security people (I think 3?) and there WERENT many people coming thru the gates at that time!

edit: with my first this is like my 4th time camping 7th time coming so it’s shocking to me and not remotely what I expected!
    Last edited by Biyu; 08-21-2018 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Adding info

Good: It's Oshkosh!
    Bad: Charging lifetime members $10 to park for the Lifetime Dinner.
    Ugly: Aggressive non-aviation vendors in the Big Four hangars.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Avoid eye contact. Works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
    Avoid eye contact. Works for me.

Also a firm "No"

If you use a more polite "No Thank you" They will badger you till you are 5 booths past theirs....it is highly annoying. While I try to be very polite to everyone, the aggressive vendors got the cold and firm "No" after about noon on Monday morning......

Thanks for the free lens cleaning. I won't be paying $15 for a pea-sized dab of your concoction.
    Quote Originally Posted by streffpilot View Post
    Also a firm "No"

If you use a more polite "No Thank you" They will badger you till you are 5 booths past theirs....it is highly annoying. While I try to be very polite to everyone, the aggressive vendors got the cold and firm "No" after about noon on Monday morning......

If they won't stay in their booths and stop interfering, report them to the exhibits office. They aren't supposed to do that and they've been warned in the past.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    I feel much sympathy for those who have been harassed by these exhibitors. Not only should they be reported for their unsavoury and unwanted behaviour, they must also be prohibited from exhibiting in any future years. We come to Oshkosh for enjoyment and relaxation, not intimidation.

I must have a face or an aura or some kinda negative vibe that tells these people, "don't f*** with this guy", because I've never been harassed or approached in any unwanted or annoying manner by any of the mattress, swing chair, slice and dice gadget, 117-way step ladders, eye glass cleaner, massage, etc. guys. Lucky me.

Quote Originally Posted by Floatsflyer View Post
    I feel much sympathy for those who have been harassed by these exhibitors. Not only should they be reported for their unsavoury and unwanted behaviour, they must also be prohibited from exhibiting in any future years. We come to Oshkosh for enjoyment and relaxation, not intimidation.
    I think in this context, "aggressive" means "Not quickly taking no as an answer." I don't think they are threatening anyone or chasing people down aisles.

IMO, it would be better for attendees to ignore those vendors while EAA takes their (the vendor's) money. Eventually, the problem will solve itself.
    Last edited by Kyle Boatright; 08-28-2018 at 04:32 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
    I think in this context, "aggressive" means "Not quickly taking no as an answer." I don't think they are threatening anyone or chasing people down aisles.
    I believe this form of "aggressive...answer" is not threatening but it sure is definition of harassment and no one should have to tolerate it.