Thread: Oshkosh 2018: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Oshkosh 2018: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

Okay, Oshkosh week is sadly about half over, so what do people think is going well, needs improvement, etc.?

I'll start. The good...it's Oshkosh week! I've already met some fantastic people and seen some fantastic flying. Got to see a 93 y.o. WWII Marine vet get a free P-51 flight. I can still get ice for my soda at the A & W, and my favorite mini-doughnuts are back. I've had some good meals too, including salads. Doc is back. The Heritage Flight made me teary-eyed. Danny the announcer is as over-caffeinated as ever. The tram service is doing well. The Vintage bookstore has lots of good books in stock. Seeing "Spitfire" on the big screen and two Tuskegee Airmen speak. So many other things...

The bad...the parking needs help. Too many permit-only lots. Wednesday's weather in the evening...not sure why the night airshow wasn't cancelled earlier. Too many golf carts zipping around. No Eisenhower jackets. Most of the movie selection didn't appeal to me, but no doubt it appealed to others. IMO "Airplane!" should be shown every year.

The ugly...nothing so far for me, but I wasn't trying to leave after the night airshow was cancelled.

The bad: I think someone mentioned already in another thread about the loss of tent camping spaces. Drove around for almost an hour today looking for a spot. Finally settled on a spot next to a dumpster and porta John

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Add another good, the night airshow has been rescheduled for tomorrow. I usually don't stay for it but it's so popular I hope a lot of people who were there tonight can come back tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by BeagleOne View Post
    Add another good, the night airshow has been rescheduled for tomorrow. I usually don't stay for it but it's so popular I hope a lot of people who were there tonight can come back tomorrow.
    That would be wonderful. Have a link?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by N3kf View Post
    That would be wonderful. Have a link?

Saw it on Twitter......

Today, Pelton said the slow tram/shuttles will be improved next year.

Assuming minus the B1 since they bounced tonight right before the TSRA hit

The ugly: OSH18 is officially over. :/

Good: Oshkosh is hard to screw up.
    Even with all of the rain, campground dried out pretty well, lots of woodchips in problem areas.
    I was only almost run over once. Pretty good.
    That is the friendliest Target store on Earth.
    Loved all of the T-6 stuff, she is my favourite. I was even fine with back to back to back T-6 acts doing essentially the same routines. The sound is incredible.
    I walked all the way to the south end of the field. Very peaceful down there, even more than the Seaplane base because nobody is there. Nobody.
    HD vintage webcam.
    Old Glory Honor Flight was incredible. I saw a few teary eyes, even from some teenagers.
    EAA Radio is highly entertaining whenever I'm in camp, or driving.

Bad:
    The main gear on that Tigercat apparently.
    The marshals in Scholler, the ticket window, no-one said welcome to Oshkosh. I thought it was odd. The girl at the refund window also did not wish me a safe trip. Odd. Maybe it's me.
    West shower house water was Scalding hot. Little kids were crying.

Ugly:
    A lot of weed was being smoked at the Saturday night airshow. A lot.
    Last edited by mazdaP5; 07-30-2018 at 06:05 AM.