Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Night airshow

I'm just curious...that line of storms was visible on radar long before dark. Wonder why they just didn't cancel earlier?

This has happened two years in a row. It may not happen again next year, but it WILL happen again. Sandwich board style signs at the entrance in front of the EAA museum, Signage on the roads entering the field, Signs at the parking lots, signage at the field walk in entrances notifying the nighshow has been cancelled would help. These signs could be pre-made and ready for immediate display. I also agree with Mr. Boatright, "Adults need to make their own choices. The storms were visible to the naked eye..."

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
    Getting caught out in a storm isn't the EAA's responsibility.
    Courts may differ, when it's a scheduled event with hundreds of thousands of people exposed to it. It'd be very easy to paint EAA as a calloused organization more interested in profit than safety, in a situation like this.

Ron Wanttaja

Quote Originally Posted by N3kf View Post
    Why would you put people at risk? That makes no sense. It would seem like you should have canceled it. I'd prefer to see it canceled/rescheduled but realize that the acts, pyro people, and fireworks people may not be able to return another night. It certainly does not make or break this for me, but it is fun to watch. Many of us won't be here Saturday night. Anyway, I usually go with the flow, but shame on you for putting people in danger. That's not right.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I was camping in Scholler in a tent......WALKED the entire way back to the tent and barely got wet from the sprinkling........All the way down to 26th btw.........I never ONCE felt at risk...and I had my wife and 2 young daughters with me.....we waited out the storm IN THE TENT. Never once felt like it was a big deal....

Maybe some people are just too risk averse and whine and cry about a little rain. Not 1 drop of water in the tent.....wind wasn't even as bad as everybody made it out to be.......A bunch of whining and crying for nothing.

I think EAA did the right thing. Try to get it squeezed in before the storm hits (since everyone is already there anyway), and when that's not possible, cancel it with PLENTY of time to get back to your vehicle/tent.

Quote Originally Posted by streffpilot View Post
    I was camping in Scholler in a tent......WALKED the entire way back to the tent and barely got wet from the sprinkling........All the way down to 26th btw.........I never ONCE felt at risk...and I had my wife and 2 young daughters with me.....we waited out the storm IN THE TENT. Never once felt like it was a big deal....

Maybe some people are just too risk averse and whine and cry about a little rain. Not 1 drop of water in the tent.....wind wasn't even as bad as everybody made it out to be.......A bunch of whining and crying for nothing.

I think EAA did the right thing. Try to get it squeezed in before the storm hits (since everyone is already there anyway), and when that's not possible, cancel it with PLENTY of time to get back to your vehicle/tent.
    I walked all the way to camp (28th), got my stuff together, walked to the showers, and made it back to camp again before the storm hit.

Quote Originally Posted by mazdaP5 View Post
    I walked all the way to camp (28th), got my stuff together, walked to the showers, and made it back to camp again before the storm hit.

Yep.....really was No big Deal....weather happens. Just deal with it.

They did announce the cancellation over the loudspeakers. They did not over the "OSHAlerts" text notifications. I agree that they waited until rather late to cancel, but to be fair, the radar was not conclusive that the storms were going to hit the field. As it was, the actual storm cell was north (and well west) of the field for a long time after the cancellation.

I personally self-canceled the Wednesday night show after looking at the cool weather radar app on my phone... And I too heard an announcement of the official show cancellation over the PA system.
    Last edited by Low Pass; 08-03-2018 at 08:57 AM.
    Bryan

Houston

We were up at Jay Honeck's HOPS party in the North 40 Wednesday night. The advantage is there's no PA up there so you don't have to listen to the inane play by play on the show. Of course I saw the skydivers go out and one blinky-light aircraft launch on 27 but then the wall of fire went off and we figured "well that's the airshow."

We spent another 45 minutes holding on to Jay's dining fly to keep it from blowing away until we got our ride back down to Vintage.

I caught only the drone show on the Thursday night show but watched nearly the entire show on Saturday. They drone act needs a lot of work (I guess it's still better than the Jet-Truck show).

They need to get rid of the alcohol sales. We had two incidents with drunks within a block of my duty station during Saturday night.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingRon View Post

They need to get rid of the alcohol sales. We had two incidents with drunks within a block of my duty station during Saturday night.
    Can you share the general nature of the problem(s)?