Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Night airshow

Night airshow

So this is the second year in a row that the Wednesday night airshow got affected by weather. Tonight was the worse in my mind that the EAA allowed people out in an exposed area knowing full well that there was a large thunderstorm in the area. Why would you put people at risk? That makes no sense. It would seem like you should have canceled it. I'd prefer to see it canceled/rescheduled but realize that the acts, pyro people, and fireworks people may not be able to return another night. It certainly does not make or break this for me, but it is fun to watch. Many of us won't be here Saturday night. Anyway, I usually go with the flow, but shame on you for putting people in danger. That's not right.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

For those of us that couldn't make it this year, just watching the webcams is scary enough.
    Glenn Brasch
    KRYN Tucson, Arizona
    2013 RV-9A
    Medevac helicopter pilot (Ret)
    EAA member since 1980
    Owner, "Airport Courtesy Cars" website.
    www.airportcourtesycars.com
    Volunteer Mentor www.SoAZTeenAviation.org

The B1B put on a nice little show on departure though. My issue was there was no real mass notification of the show cancellation. I got the storm alerts but nothing about the show. I only found out because I turned on the Air Boss frequency as I was getting ready to walk to the bus to head in. I heard him telling everyone the show was cancelled and coordinating getting the Bomber out of town.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    I thought they did cancel it. I was at a dinner party on the outdoor roof patio of the Hilton hotel at the north side of 9-27. It started to lightly drizzle about 8:15. The B-707 air tanker made a low high speed pass, then skydivers with light flares jumped and then nothing. It started to rain a little heavier and they lit the the giant wall of fire which normally ends the show(guess they had to because it was already wired). Our hosts then told us the show was cancelled at about 8:30. I was very disappointed because I had never seen the night show from this perspective we had on the roof overlooking the North 40 and almost all of Wittman, it was visually stunning.

So headed back to Appleton and 41 was IMC with driving sheets of pounding rain and flash lightening. Extremely difficult to see the road and traffic lines. As I slowly drove I thought about all the campers getting drenched and felt bad for them.

It's been rescheduled for tomorrow night.

I heard them say over frequency that they'd have to detonate the pyro since it was already set up.

Kudos for the reschedule. But don't put people in harm's way again please!!!! If rain is imminent, please cancel.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Dere gettin' soft I tells ya!

Back in my day we would have night air shows in 4 feet of snow. The show would still go on even when the weather was so bad the SOS balloon had a frown on it! We had to put up B-1 bombers to guide the guys in the LED powered parachutes.

I took a look at the RADAR in the area. Lots of ZZZ symbols all over.
    I don't think there's a way for announcements to go out except for the speakers along the flight line. I hope they used those to let people know about the cancellation.
    Last edited by PaulDow; 07-26-2018 at 06:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by N3kf View Post
    Kudos for the reschedule. But don't put people in harm's way again please!!!! If rain is imminent, please cancel.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Adults need to make their own choices. The storms were visible to the naked eye for a long time before they hit, and anyone who looked at a radar app on their phone could have seen it coming hours beforehand. Getting caught out in a storm isn't the EAA's responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Boatright View Post
    Adults need to make their own choices. The storms were visible to the naked eye for a long time before they hit, and anyone who looked at a radar app on their phone could have seen it coming hours beforehand. Getting caught out in a storm isn't the EAA's responsibility.
    If the radar app would load on their phone...service on my tmobile phone and my Verizon iPad were pretty much nil all day/night. But I get what you mean